mig and flux core tips and techniques, equipment, filler metal
mck90
    Fri Aug 26, 2016 4:32 am

Ok, so I'm doing a trial for an apprenticeship. It's been amazing so far and I'm learning a bunch. One process I'm currently using i'm unsure about, and when i asked the boss he didnt explain the whys. So, here I am.

Basically, I'm welding a lug into a 34mm thick piece of mild steel. Im using a big idealarc arc welder, set on ~600 amps which is plugged into a wirefeeder with 1.6mm fluxcore wire and using gas.

What reasons are there for this set up? Arc welder with a wire feeder, fluxcore with gas? If there's even the slightest breeze, i get porosity. Is there any difference in how an arc welder with wirefeeder behaves and a regular mig welder? Other than this set up being live all the time.

One other question. I was cleaning the away some splutter from the gun, and had my hand on the metal part, i put my other hand on the table and got zapped whilst wearing heavy duty welding gloves. Is that potentially dangerous if i weren't wearing gloves? Wasn't a big shock, but it was still rather... shocking when you're not expecting it.

Just gonna say it though. Welding with 600 amps is a bloody rush. My hands feel like over cooked jerky though.
Poland308
    Thu Sep 10, 2015 8:45 pm

Sounds like dual shield. Common on thick production pieces. Check under some of the recent threads about dual shield wire welding.
I have more questions than answers

Josh
JDawg
    Tue Aug 30, 2016 2:08 pm

mck90 wrote:Basically, I'm welding a lug into a 34mm thick piece of mild steel. Im using a big idealarc arc welder, set on ~600 amps which is plugged into a wirefeeder with 1.6mm fluxcore wire and using gas.

What reasons are there for this set up?
Dual shield flux-core is what you're running. The addition of the gas allows for a very easily cleaned slag coating, deeper penetration, bigger beads and just a generally better weld than self-shielded wire, all things being equal. Relatively little manipulation is required. As you noted, it is not as suitable for welding in outdoor or draft environments.
One other question. I was cleaning the away some splutter from the gun, and had my hand on the metal part, i put my other hand on the table and got zapped whilst wearing heavy duty welding gloves. Is that potentially dangerous if i weren't wearing gloves?
It's potentially dangerous with or without gloves, though it's usually just a light zap. Happens to everyone with a live electrode setup at some point. Now is a good time to learn to avoid that. Doesn't take a lot of electricity to throw your heart out of rhythm or something like that.