mig and flux core tips and techniques, equipment, filler metal
    Wed Jul 27, 2016 2:02 pm

I'm in charge of getting frame production started and I told the boss we need to spray arc weld because it's faster and stronger.
The problem is that no matter how hard I look, I can't find any spray arc videos or articles that go into detail about it and give good techniques. I need to know everything about it. If there's anyone who could help, I'd appreciate it.
    Thu Jan 06, 2011 11:40 pm

What positions will you be welding in? Spray-arc functions best for 1G and 1F, can be done in 2F, and gets more complicated/skill-intensive from there. If you will have 2G, 3G, 3F positions and have less than very experienced welders, you should consider the dual-shield process. The fast-freezing flux allows you to spray-arc uphill without drip-out or undercut, but still requires experience.

Spray-arc is not faster for the same wire size (slower, actually), but allows larger wire which can compensate. To illustrate, .035 308l wire burned short-circuit might be 22.2 volts at 350IPM. The same wire at spray transfer might be 27 volts and 265IPM, for a slower deposition rate.

You might get better search results with the keywords, "Spray-transfer welding," rather than "spray-arc".

Steve S
soutthpaw
    Thu Sep 18, 2014 12:14 pm

Pulsed spray MIG will help with 3g and beyond. Generally you push it, it's really Frickin hot and massive UV. 5 minutes of spray MIG with a t-shirt will give you one hell of a farmer's tan. I learned that the hard way. How thick are the frames you are welding

we are using a rollover fixture because we need to weld on the underside and so we can weld 1F, 2F, and 1G. the frames are going to be made out of channel beams and are 1/8" thick

thanks
Tommy2069
    Sun Jun 05, 2016 10:03 am

spray arc can be done in every posistion. just turn your machine up and cut back on wire speed.after you master it you will notice you have no grinding starts and stops no splatter .also no leaks or repairs to go back and catch up.some will says it's slower but if you factor in no cleanup no dressing up welds .it turns out it's just as fast as regular welding.i have yet to make a vid of me actually welding because i'm the only guy in my shop and i just never get around to it.another thing is after you get good at it people will think it's tig welded.you can check out my thread (mig like tig) i have other pictures in it to look at.the weld in this pic was done with .045 dual shield volts set at 24.6 and the speed at about 265 to 290

http://imageshack.com/a/img921/8352/xjwhdf.jpg
Boomer63
    Fri Sep 12, 2014 11:52 am

Here in South Bend/Elkhart Indiana, we have loads of trailer manufacturers. They all use spray transfer for the penetration quality. To spray, this means that they are running at least an 85% gas mix. When I introduce my students to spray, I have them change bottles from the C - 25 mix, then have them weld with the 95% mix. Next, I have them gradually turn up the voltage on the machine. As it goes up, they can hear it start to want to spray, and then a little bit more volts and they definitely hear the spray. Loads of penetration, because of the higher machine settings, means no manipulation. Personally, I love it! I like the way it sounds, the way it penetrates and the way it looks.
Gary

Thanks guys