mig and flux core tips and techniques, equipment, filler metal
OzFlo
    Sat Sep 26, 2015 10:16 pm

Hi All,

I'm in the market for a Mig unit and I have been wondering just how powerful I need this beast to be.. Being primarily a hobby welder with a small home workshop, I envisage the projects that I will attempt will be fairly light gauge; let's say up to 1/4" thick material. I can't see myself (at least at this point in time) attempting or needing to weld material any thicker than that.

Bearing this in mind, would it be feasible to go for a unit of say 175 amp capacity over a unit of 200 amps?

Also (especially for those living south of the equator) has anyone had any experience with the Unimig 240v machines?

Cheers,

Flo
    Sat Aug 01, 2015 8:38 am

Flo -

I'm no Mig expert but in my experience welding machines of all types are like bikes - you never regret having more power than you really need, because one day you can be sure you will need it. (I bought a 200amp Tig and it has surprised me how often in my first year with the machine I've found myself wishing for a bit more grunt.)

Everyone and their dog seems to sell the Unimig machines but amongst the rabble I see that Hampdons also sell them. This might be your best path forwards - in my experience the Hampdon guys give straight advice without any hard sell and offer excellent backup. If you are going to buy any machine at all, that backup service is just so important.

Kym
OzFlo

MosquitoMoto wrote:Flo -

I'm no Mig expert but in my experience welding machines of all types are like bikes - you never regret having more power than you really need, because one day you can be sure you will need it. (I bought a 200amp Tig and it has surprised me how often in my first year with the machine I've found myself wishing for a bit more grunt.)
I know what you mean.. too much power is rarely a bad thing but with a limited budget compromises have to be made. I was looking at the Everlast MTS250S which is a 250 amp unit, but the stock here in Oz has been exhausted and is going to replaced with the MTS251Si - and I assume at a significantly higher price than the previous model based on the US pricing..

If you are going to buy any machine at all, that backup service is just so important.
That's true.. and will possibly be what leads me to go with Pete and pair up the TT Mig sister machine to my TT Tig machine..

Flo
    Sat Aug 01, 2015 8:38 am

You could do a lot worse than go with TT...Pete won't let you down.

Kym
OzFlo

MosquitoMoto wrote:You could do a lot worse than go with TT...Pete won't let you down.

Kym
Well I have been happy with my TT Tig machine and he's only 1.5 hrs drive away..