mig and flux core tips and techniques, equipment, filler metal
    Thu Dec 01, 2016 12:30 pm

I want to think everyone for their help.

I think I actually succeeded in repairing the base. Notice I didn't say "welding" it. The mess I made is so sloppy, I'm not sure it even qualifies to be called a weld.

I used 308L wire. I had read that non-magnetic stainless was the thing to use. I heated the piece to somewhere above 100 degrees, according to the strange instructions I read elsewhere. Then I did what I ALWAYS DO 100% OF THE TIME. I started welding without turning the gas on.

I ground off as much of the spongy crap as I could and started over, with two small welds on the bottom side. I had the wire feed turned up, according to something I had read. What a mistake. I was only welding a few seconds, but I ended up with big globs again. Back to the grinder.

I beat the globs with a ball peen hammer and then ground off the excess. I never heard the "tinking" sounds you're supposed to hear when cast iron welds break. That's the main reason I'm posting this. I would like to know what went RIGHT. I can't understand why the welds didn't pop. Maybe because they're shallow? I only v'd out maybe 3/32", because I was afraid if I didn't leave some meat it would be hard to hold the pieces together while I welded. As it was, I had to use a Bessey clamp.

I ground off the new globs and did some more welding. Still too much wire, but no popping noises.

I removed as much excess metal as possible and tested the repair by yanking on it and beating it with the handle of the hammer. It's probably the worst weld in the universe, but it's aligned perfectly and will probably work well enough for the purpose of holding a motor down.

I may be able to clean it up some more if I can find the right rotary tool.

This went incredibly well, even though it looks like there is no possible mistake I failed to make.
Attachments
12-10-16 mitsubishi motor mount MIG welded 308L wire small.jpg
12-10-16 mitsubishi motor mount MIG welded 308L wire small.jpg (66.87 KiB) Viewed 1009 times
I was socially distant when social distancing wasn't cool.
    Thu Dec 26, 2013 12:41 am

I would think that by now, you knowing your yourself, would have put a label on your MIG gun with a note to turn the gas on before squeezing the trigger. :lol:

Oscar wrote:I would think that by now, you knowing your yourself, would have put a label on your MIG gun with a note to turn the gas on before squeezing the trigger. :lol:
You joke, but I was planning to do that today.
    Thu Dec 26, 2013 12:41 am

Well kinda joking, but serious as well. I mean, it will only help you, right? Especially since you do it "100%" of the time. But don't "plan" on doing it today. Do it. :)

I don't want to get in trouble with Zod.

I wasn't kidding!
12-12-16 lincoln welder with gas sign small.jpg
12-12-16 lincoln welder with gas sign small.jpg (42.94 KiB) Viewed 510 times
    Sat Aug 01, 2015 8:38 am

Well, I'm glad that worked out well for you.

I only forget the gas...when I'm welding something absolutely critical. If I'm practising or just zapping something of no real consequence, I turn the gas on.

But any time a mate shows up and says something like "I have this hand-formed 1mm thick aluminium aircraft blister cowling that's 75 years old and utterly irreplaceable, do you think you could repair it?" ... THAT is when I will forget to turn the gas on.

Kym

That makes complete sense to me.

I prefer not to discuss the time I left the gas ON.
Poland308
    Thu Sep 10, 2015 8:45 pm

That is always a sad day. Out to the shop to weld something up quick. Go to turn on the gas and your first thought is who cranked this valve down because I can't open it? Then you realize :evil: it's already on! SOB I'm an idiot!
I have more questions than answers

Josh

Poland308 wrote:That is always a sad day. Out to the shop to weld something up quick. Go to turn on the gas and your first thought is who cranked this valve down because I can't open it? Then you realize :evil: it's already on! SOB I'm an idiot!
Sure glad I'm not the only one that's done that :D
Miller Bobcat 225
Tweco Fabricator 211i
AHP AlphaTIG 200x
Lincoln SP-135+
Hypertherm Powermax 30 Air
ProStar O/A torch