mig and flux core tips and techniques, equipment, filler metal
ryanjames170
    Sun Sep 25, 2016 12:46 pm

Notapro wrote:I know our local welding shop has some of the newer miller dual voltage mig machines and they are very happy with them,
dual voltage is the way to go on any welder.. my stick welder is dual voltage, wish my Wire feed was.. it seems dual voltage machines give you the best versatility as i hate to say it unless you got a very scoocum welding gen set you cant always bank of having 220V at a job sight.. as most people dont have 220v at the house for more then the dryer, stove and central air. this is the predicament i am in right now i can only get 220V at from my gen set.. and that is limited at best..
Welder/Fitter
RM Fab & Products

Lincoln Invertec V300 pro
Miller 54D Wire Feeder
Miller 2E DC Welder Generator
Everlast Power IMIG 200
Everlast Power ARC 200ST
Klutch Plasma 275i Plasma Cutter
Hobard/Smith Oxy Torch using propane.
    Thu Dec 26, 2013 12:41 am

ryanjames170 wrote:
Notapro wrote:I know our local welding shop has some of the newer miller dual voltage mig machines and they are very happy with them,
dual voltage is the way to go on any welder.. my stick welder is dual voltage, wish my Wire feed was.. it seems dual voltage machines give you the best versatility as i hate to say it unless you got a very scoocum welding gen set you cant always bank of having 220V at a job sight.. as most people dont have 220v at the house for more then the dryer, stove and central air. this is the predicament i am in right now i can only get 220V at from my gen set.. and that is limited at best..
I can get 240V anywhere. Portable genny with a 100-ft extension, with a 240V 6-50R and two 120V 15/20A outlets. That extension weighs at least 60lbs :)

Notapro
    Mon Nov 28, 2016 6:50 pm

Oscars
How do you like the Eastwood plasma?
    Thu Dec 26, 2013 12:41 am

Notapro wrote:Oscars
How do you like the Eastwood plasma?
Its fine for hobby level work. A couple quirks here and there but over all its a good hobbyist value. Will "cut" 1/2" if you really need it to.
Sacman
    Thu Jan 05, 2017 9:05 pm

Notapro wrote:
20161204_125106.jpg
I was given this same machine, I wasn't sure if it was a good machine. I'm new to welding and learning with it. Hoping to get some pics up soon of my progress to get some opinions etc.. Did you only use flux core while using this machine? Have you ever use gas with regular wire in it? Thanks
ryanjames170

Sacman wrote:
Notapro wrote:
20161204_125106.jpg
I was given this same machine, I wasn't sure if it was a good machine. I'm new to welding and learning with it. Hoping to get some pics up soon of my progress to get some opinions etc.. Did you only use flux core while using this machine? Have you ever use gas with regular wire in it? Thanks
i would think for your first welds before you get gas unless you have it already i would Run fluxcore threw it.. alot cheaper in the start, can see if the machine works good and what not.. as gas dose cost a bit to first get into.. where as fluxcore is maybe $20 for a spool of wire..
Welder/Fitter
RM Fab & Products

Miller 54D Wire Feeder
Everlast Power IMIG 200
Everlast Power ARC 200ST
Sacman

ryanjames170 wrote:
Sacman wrote:
Notapro wrote:
20161204_125106.jpg
i would think for your first welds before you get gas unless you have it already i would Run fluxcore threw it.. alot cheaper in the start, can see if the machine works good and what not.. as gas dose cost a bit to first get into.. where as fluxcore is maybe $20 for a spool of wire..
Will do, thanks for the advice. The way it was giving it was given to me, it's set up with flux core already. It did come along with a bottle of argon/co2 bottle. I'm clueless to what it cost to fill or set up(Meaning flow rate etc). Out of curiosity would it be better to start with was using gas? I've used it a few times already. But I'm looking to put more time in with it and was wondering if there was a huge difference. I'm still in the middle of watching videoes of beginning of mig welding on here still. Lots of info, and didn't get that far. Lol hard to watch stuff when my children use the electronics all the time. Thanks
ODIS
  • ODIS
    Mon Dec 12, 2016 9:36 pm

The weld pac 100 is my first machine and I still have it. I recently bought a Hobart 210 MVP but I'm going to keep the little Lincoln and dedicate it to .023 wire and C25 for sheet metal and the Hobart will be dedicated to C02 and heavier wire. I bought the Lincoln in 98 and it has held up quite well.
ryanjames170

if you have the set up already and it has a good regulator.. i personly have gotten away with 10-12 CFH inside. as far as filling it up being as you have a bottle (provided they will fill it for you) u should be able to get prices from a local welding suppler.. keep in mind they may not refill the tank though so if you can take the tank with you to make sure they will..

but as for starting out i stand by flux core as you dont have to worry about the gas aspect of things. how ever if you got some gas and some wire i would run a few beads with it once u get a feel for the machine..
Welder/Fitter
RM Fab & Products

Miller 54D Wire Feeder
Everlast Power IMIG 200
Everlast Power ARC 200ST
Sacman

ODIS wrote:The weld pac 100 is my first machine and I still have it. I recently bought a Hobart 210 MVP but I'm going to keep the little Lincoln and dedicate it to .023 wire and C25 for sheet metal and the Hobart will be dedicated to C02 and heavier wire. I bought the Lincoln in 98 and it has held up quite well.

Nice, its good to hear that the 100 is a good machine to begin with. I wasn't complaining, I was interested in welding and someone gave me a a welder. When I did general googling to find more information on the machine. I found alittle more negative then positive, until I came here and found out different. Thanks.
Sacman

ryanjames170 wrote:if you have the set up already and it has a good regulator.. i personly have gotten away with 10-12 CFH inside. as far as filling it up being as you have a bottle (provided they will fill it for you) u should be able to get prices from a local welding suppler.. keep in mind they may not refill the tank though so if you can take the tank with you to make sure they will..

but as for starting out i stand by flux core as you dont have to worry about the gas aspect of things. how ever if you got some gas and some wire i would run a few beads with it once u get a feel for the machine..
Yup, not sure about the quality of the regulator. I'll snap a picture of it and post it. I going to start with the flux core, I dont have regular wire yet and just use what I have to practice. Out of curiosity is there a rule of thumb for setting gas flow? Also as for refilling the bottle. I didn't know the same bottle will be refilled, I assumed that it would be an exchange like propane. Thanks for the advice.
Sacman

IMG_3896.JPG
IMG_3896.JPG (44.6 KiB) Viewed 834 times
Here is the regulator I have, It seems to look dated. What do you guys think? I'm not too sure,Thanks.
Poland308
    Thu Sep 10, 2015 8:45 pm

It is an older regulator. Think there may be an Allen screw in the middle of the back of the regulator for adjustment. If not then I would recommend a new one. After a while the springs can get weak inside or the diaphram may be getting brittle.it may even have cracks or holes. Either way that style doesn't appear from the picture to have a way for you to see the leaving pressure or more importantly the flow rate. Invest in a flow meter that goes over the end of your gun/ or torch otherwise adjustments are impossible or just wasteful.
I have more questions than answers

Josh
Sacman

Poland308 wrote:It is an older regulator. Think there may be an Allen screw in the middle of the back of the regulator for adjustment. If not then I would recommend a new one. After a while the springs can get weak inside or the diaphram may be getting brittle.it may even have cracks or holes. Either way that style doesn't appear from the picture to have a way for you to see the leaving pressure or more importantly the flow rate. Invest in a flow meter that goes over the end of your gun/ or torch otherwise adjustments are impossible or just wasteful.
Agreed, I was looking closely at hose as well and it's cracked and dry. Im sure it was probably from just sitting in a corner and not being used before it was given to me. That being said I wouldn't be surprised if the regulator was the same. Thanks.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk