mig and flux core tips and techniques, equipment, filler metal
Sacman
    Thu Jan 05, 2017 9:05 pm

ryanjames170 wrote:if you have the set up already and it has a good regulator.. i personly have gotten away with 10-12 CFH inside. as far as filling it up being as you have a bottle (provided they will fill it for you) u should be able to get prices from a local welding suppler.. keep in mind they may not refill the tank though so if you can take the tank with you to make sure they will..

but as for starting out i stand by flux core as you dont have to worry about the gas aspect of things. how ever if you got some gas and some wire i would run a few beads with it once u get a feel for the machine..
Yup, not sure about the quality of the regulator. I'll snap a picture of it and post it. I going to start with the flux core, I dont have regular wire yet and just use what I have to practice. Out of curiosity is there a rule of thumb for setting gas flow? Also as for refilling the bottle. I didn't know the same bottle will be refilled, I assumed that it would be an exchange like propane. Thanks for the advice.
Sacman

IMG_3896.JPG
IMG_3896.JPG (44.6 KiB) Viewed 845 times
Here is the regulator I have, It seems to look dated. What do you guys think? I'm not too sure,Thanks.
Poland308
    Thu Sep 10, 2015 8:45 pm

It is an older regulator. Think there may be an Allen screw in the middle of the back of the regulator for adjustment. If not then I would recommend a new one. After a while the springs can get weak inside or the diaphram may be getting brittle.it may even have cracks or holes. Either way that style doesn't appear from the picture to have a way for you to see the leaving pressure or more importantly the flow rate. Invest in a flow meter that goes over the end of your gun/ or torch otherwise adjustments are impossible or just wasteful.
I have more questions than answers

Josh
Sacman

Poland308 wrote:It is an older regulator. Think there may be an Allen screw in the middle of the back of the regulator for adjustment. If not then I would recommend a new one. After a while the springs can get weak inside or the diaphram may be getting brittle.it may even have cracks or holes. Either way that style doesn't appear from the picture to have a way for you to see the leaving pressure or more importantly the flow rate. Invest in a flow meter that goes over the end of your gun/ or torch otherwise adjustments are impossible or just wasteful.
Agreed, I was looking closely at hose as well and it's cracked and dry. Im sure it was probably from just sitting in a corner and not being used before it was given to me. That being said I wouldn't be surprised if the regulator was the same. Thanks.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk