mig and flux core tips and techniques, equipment, filler metal
Darita
    Thu Dec 08, 2016 3:32 pm

I'm so new to welding, but I gotta ask somewhere...
I've been practicing running beads and welding simple joints, with 1/8" angle iron, using .030 wire in a mig. Looks like I'm getting decent penetration, with no holes, except when I come to an edge. When I come the edge, I always take a bite out of it. Too much heat, not enough speed, speed up my own movement...? Any advice, besides try another hobby?
Farmwelding
    Thu Mar 10, 2016 11:37 pm

Welcome to the forum. The main thing I can tell you is to practice. Overall you need to speed up a little in these areas and cut off on thinner metals. Or start on one edge since the heat of the weld will heat the whole work piece. Just practice cutting off your welds a little earlier or putting a backing on your metal like aluminum.
A student now but really want to weld everyday. Want to learn everything about everything. Want to become a knower of all and master of none.
Instagram: @farmwelding
Nick
Poland308
    Thu Sep 10, 2015 8:45 pm

I've often tacked the end of a weld after I weld it to fill in any spots like you describe. If you watch the puddle after you finish the weld you will start to see it cool. Just after it stops glowing red then I just give it a few small tacks to fill in the end. You can always go back in later and grind off any extra.
I have more questions than answers

Josh
Darita

Thanks! Good tips! I tried starting from the edge and it works well, but if I still have trouble, I will try to fill in and grind off excess. I'm a woodworker, so understand about learning curves. Just a bit difficult teaching yourself over the internet school. Thanks!
    Sat Mar 30, 2013 11:49 am

You can also add a small piece along the edge. That will draw some heat and prevent the edge from rolling back.
When ready you just break it off and dress a little with a flap disc.
PeteM
    Sat Dec 03, 2016 11:28 am

Another solution is to start at each end and tie in at the middle.
ryanjames170
    Sun Sep 25, 2016 12:46 pm

Darita wrote:I'm so new to welding, but I gotta ask somewhere...
I've been practicing running beads and welding simple joints, with 1/8" angle iron, using .030 wire in a mig. Looks like I'm getting decent penetration, with no holes, except when I come to an edge. When I come the edge, I always take a bite out of it. Too much heat, not enough speed, speed up my own movement...? Any advice, besides try another hobby?

jody did a video on this https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rj9niLlyzp8
Welder/Fitter
RM Fab & Products

Lincoln Invertec V300 pro
Miller 54D Wire Feeder
Miller 2E DC Welder Generator
Everlast Power IMIG 200
Everlast Power ARC 200ST
Klutch Plasma 275i Plasma Cutter
Hobard/Smith Oxy Torch using propane.
Darita

Great tip on that vid! Watched it and first, looks like a fix I can do and second, I'm glad I'm not the only one who has this problem. Now, where can I get some of these copper scraps? I'm now in NorCal and don't know anything or anyone up here.
Poland308
    Thu Sep 10, 2015 8:45 pm

I would check with your local scrap yard. You may get them to give you a call if any local electricians bring in used buss bars or big old panels. Or check with an electrician that does big industrial work.
I have more questions than answers

Josh