mig and flux core tips and techniques, equipment, filler metal
LGLDSR
    Tue Nov 22, 2016 9:51 pm

I have two pieces of 1/4" steel (8" length) in an 'L' formation. Should both sides be welded where they meet or only one? And if the latter would you weld only the inside or outside of where they meet?

Thanks,

Lyman
    Sat Dec 03, 2016 9:22 am

Gee,

Depending on what it is, I'd be inclined to do the outside corner first as a complete weld, then just do the inside corner as a series of three 1.5" stitches, to avoid needless pulling/distortion beyond the 90 degrees. And I believe stitching can improve strength by reducing the tendency of tearing at a seam area. I mean, if it's for a high-industrial-strendth torque arm support or some other critical component, then I'd ask a mechanical/structural engineer.
Peace be with you all,
Christian Livingstone
www.youtube.com/newjerusalemtimes

Everlast AC/DC 210EXT (2015)
CAT250D DC-TIG/Plasma Combo
PeteM
    Sat Dec 03, 2016 11:28 am

If there aren't any dimensional constraints, as in something has to fit inside of it, or it has to fit into something, then it doesn't matter in that regard. If there is tension pulling to open the members, then weld inside. If there is force that would collapse them into each other then weld outside. If there may be force applied in both directions, weld both sides.

Or both even if it just makes you feel better. It's just a little bit of wire.
LGLDSR
    Tue Nov 22, 2016 9:51 pm

PeteM wrote:If there aren't any dimensional constraints, as in something has to fit inside of it, or it has to fit into something, then it doesn't matter in that regard. If there is tension pulling to open the members, then weld inside. If there is force that would collapse them into each other then weld outside. If there may be force applied in both directions, weld both sides.

Or both even if it just makes you feel better. It's just a little bit of wire.
Thank you both, greatly appreciated. These are brackets that will be holding perhaps 30 pounds of 2 x 4's.

Best,

Lyman