mig and flux core tips and techniques, equipment, filler metal
lmo506
    Sat Dec 31, 2016 7:09 pm

Hi all. New to this so bear with me please. according to a graph i found here 3/16 or .187 mild steel should have 187 amps. My machine only shows volts. how do you switch that around
    Sun Oct 27, 2013 10:57 pm

What machine are you using?

Amps are dictated by your wire feed speed. The higher the WFS, the higher the amps to burn it off.

The volts get set high enough for a proper weld based on the wire feed speed (amps) used.

Low volts, high rope like bead.
Too high of volts and the arc spatters a lot and the weld flattens out too much.
Just right is in the middle somewhere.

It's a balance.
Dave J.

Beware of false knowledge; it is more dangerous than ignorance. ~George Bernard Shaw~

Syncro 350
Invertec v250-s
Thermal Arc 161 and 300
MM210
Dialarc
Tried being normal once, didn't take....I think it was a Tuesday.
Backsheddave
    Sat Jul 19, 2014 4:46 am

Have a look on the Miller welding app. This gives both an amp range and volts, I find it quite useful for getting started on a thickness of steel I've not welded before.
According to the app 3/16 steel has an amp welding range of 160 - 170 amps and/or 21 to 22 volts guessing that you are using co2 gas. Also the app. gives you a wire speed setting to help you dial in a setting that suits the machine and your welding style. Hope this helps some.......enjoy
    Thu Jan 06, 2011 11:40 pm

Interestingly, my first generation Everlast iMIG200 tells me amps. It reads volts when I set it, reads amps while I'm welding. I either need a second set of eyes to read it during a weld, or I puddle the corner of scrap angle while watching the machine.

Just an observation.

Steve S
Coldman
    Mon Dec 15, 2014 2:16 am

If I'm qualifying a procedure I set up my phone on video to record power source displays and settings and any multimeters connected as well. Also records arc time.

Sent using Tapatalk
Flat out like a lizard drinkin'