mig and flux core tips and techniques, equipment, filler metal
getherdone
    Sat Feb 20, 2016 10:34 pm

Here we go again with the infamous 'what machine should I buy' question....

I run almost exclusively Lincoln gas shielded, flux core ('Dual Shield') wire for working on my own truck related equipment. Previously I was stick welding all the serious stuff with 7018. I'm now trying to move more towards the mig process for time savings...and this stuff just runs really nice out of position.

The smallest metal I work with is 1/4"....1/2" pretty regular also. My current mig setup doesn't really have the balls to run .045 from what I can tell topping out at 210amps and 25 volts - need more volts by the book...so right now I run .035

While I'd love to go buy a big 250amp transformer based Lincoln, Miller or HTP - I really need the semi-portability of an inverter with a carry handle at this time - so that rules all the big guys out.

So now I'm down to the following - but am I missing anything?:

•Everlast 275p - specs look good, I'm just not so keep about being half a world away from them for tech support - too expensive to ship machine back if anything goes wrong. I like the idea of having pulse available - especially for some out of position stuff I do welding thick to thin.

•Esab Rebel 235 - pricey...and not that much more powerful than what I already have. Duty cycle not ideal if I max out. But it does take the 33# spool which I'm looking to upgrade to (as do all the others). Also love the interface.

• Thermal Arc/Fabricator 252 - not really keen on this one - heavy machine too. Price is good at the moment...would consider more if a few people had good things to say about it?

Thanks in advance....

PS- I already have a tig machine and multi process unit that stick welds up to 160 amps...so I don't really need another MP.
Lincoln Power Mig 210MP
Everlast Power TIG 185
Hypertherm PowerMax 45
    Sun Oct 27, 2013 10:57 pm

I think the fabricator 252 is a bargain personally, but I don't have one since I have plenty of machines already.

If you want big amps, why not use a separate power source and a suitcase feeder?

I currently run a Miller super S-32P off a Lincoln Invertec v300 pro. It will also run off my bobcat 225nt.

I know lots of guys say they like the Miller XMT power sources for that type of stuff too.
Dave J.

Beware of false knowledge; it is more dangerous than ignorance. ~George Bernard Shaw~

Syncro 350
Invertec v250-s
Thermal Arc 161 and 300
MM210
Dialarc
Tried being normal once, didn't take....I think it was a Tuesday.
    Thu Dec 26, 2013 12:41 am

MinnesotaDave wrote:I think the fabricator 252 is a bargain personally,
Yup, that or it's twin brother the ESAB 252i. Either one only weighs 65 lbs, so with a 12", 44lb spool, you're barely at 105 lbs, which should be easy to carry one handed. :D
getherdone

Just pulled the detailed specs on the Rebel 235.

Apparently it maxes out at 250amps not 235...but only lists duty cycle at 235:

Maximum Output - 250 Amps / 30 Volts
MIG (GMAW/FCAW) Welding Output @ 104°F (40°C)
120A / 19V @ 40% Duty Cycle (120V)
235A / 26V @ 40% Duty Cycle (230V)

MIG Welding Voltage Range
10 –30V
Wirefeed Speed Range
1.5-17.89 m/min (60-700 ipm)

Power Source Weight
24 kg (53 lbs)

For me the weight is important - allows me to transport between projects at 2 yards by myself as needed. Can't do that with a transformer weighing in at 200 pounds...

Does not say anything about a pulse function...which is a nice option on the Everlast.
Lincoln Power Mig 210MP
Everlast Power TIG 185
Hypertherm PowerMax 45
    Sat Dec 03, 2016 9:22 am

Well,

Don't overlook the Everlast 251Si, as a 250 amp+ PULSE MIG, with all the included stuff for HF TIG arc start in an MTS unit too.
251Si.jpg
251Si.jpg (61.25 KiB) Viewed 1027 times
Of course, like I'll usually now include as a proviso, since at another welding website some of the members there are so quick to accuse me, in a paranoid, conspiratorial, and delusional manner; I'm not a shill for Everlast, just a keen welder marketplace observer and a satisfied retail customer.

But, for the rest of us, dig this gal, no BALLS aside, rockin' a 251Si unit on aluminum with a 200 amp spoolgun. I mean, either she or the machine, or maybe it's the two of them togather that get me a little excited! Ha, ha, ha...

Peace be with you all,
Christian Livingstone
www.youtube.com/newjerusalemtimes

Everlast AC/DC 210EXT (2015)
CAT250D DC-TIG/Plasma Combo
getherdone

I did look at the 251...it only takes an 8" 10# spool however.

With the amount if wire I'm burning these days need to step up to the 33# spool capacity for cost/productivity.

The 275 models are only $100-$300 more and offer that...along with more balls.

I d0 wish however there was a non Chinese option out there that fit the bill :-/

D
Lincoln Power Mig 210MP
Everlast Power TIG 185
Hypertherm PowerMax 45

C. Livingstone wrote:But, for the rest of us, dig this gal, no BALLS aside, rockin' a 251Si unit on aluminum with a 200 amp spoolgun. I mean, either she or the machine, or maybe it's the two of them togather that get me a little excited! Ha, ha, ha...

Did you see which helmet she was using. Jody uses it a lot, ChuckE2009 uses it a lot, Josh from Superior Welding uses it, I use it.....it is the helmet to have

getherdone wrote:I did look at the 251...it only takes an 8" 10# spool however.

With the amount if wire I'm burning these days need to step up to the 33# spool capacity for cost/productivity.

I d0 wish however there was a non Chinese option out there that fit the bill :-/

D
you sure about that? ;)

getherdone

Oscar, that's a a Thermal Arc/ESAB Fabricator 252 in your photo...

As for the Optrel...just got one with the PAPR system...what a fantastic view....and not having to breathe all the fumes a huge plus!
Lincoln Power Mig 210MP
Everlast Power TIG 185
Hypertherm PowerMax 45
GreinTime
    Fri Nov 01, 2013 11:20 am

Oscar wrote:
C. Livingstone wrote:But, for the rest of us, dig this gal, no BALLS aside, rockin' a 251Si unit on aluminum with a 200 amp spoolgun. I mean, either she or the machine, or maybe it's the two of them togather that get me a little excited! Ha, ha, ha...

Did you see which helmet she was using. Jody uses it a lot, ChuckE2009 uses it a lot, Josh from Superior Welding uses it, I use it.....it is the helmet to have

getherdone wrote:I did look at the 251...it only takes an 8" 10# spool however.

D
you sure about that? ;)

He was talking about the Everlast 251, to clarify.

Also, Jonathan is Superior Welding, to clarify as well. Unless he just changed his name. In which case I need to update his name in my phone.

Sent from my VS995 using Tapatalk
#oneleggedproblems
-=Sam=-

GreinTime wrote:He was talking about the Everlast 251, to clarify.

Also, Jonathan is Superior Welding, to clarify as well. Unless he just changed his name. In which case I need to update his name in my phone.

Sent from my VS995 using Tapatalk
My bad, Jonathan it is! Yes, I was talking about the 252, but I guess I read the response wrong, lol. Yesterday was my brain's off day. :lol: In either case, I still think the 252 is a good choice.