mig and flux core tips and techniques, equipment, filler metal
ODIS
  • ODIS
    Mon Dec 12, 2016 9:36 pm

As a general rule how much welding time would I expect from a 80 cubic foot tank of pure co2? Would it last longer than a 10lb wheel of .035 wire?
    Thu Dec 26, 2013 12:41 am

divide the number 80 by whatever your shielding gas flow rate is. If it is 20 CFH, then you do 80/20. If it is 25 CFH, then do 80/25. That's how many hours you would theoretically get not factoring in the pre-flow gas surge, pre-flow, or post flow. So realistically you'll only get about 75-85% of the number you arrive at, especially if you do lots of starts-and-stops (which you pretty much have to unless you do production level welding and have a welder than can do near 100% duty cycle).

Once you get that approximation, we can do a little more math [to see how much wire you would use in that amount of time] IF you know your mean (average) wire-feed speed that you use while you consume that 10lb spool of 0.035.
ODIS
  • ODIS

Thanks for the reply Oscar, I only really have experience with FCAW welding and I'm strictly self taught, plus I haven't really taught my self very well so I will be asking plenty of dumb questions. I'm not sure what you said but so be it.
I have a new Hobart 210 MVP and after it warms up a bit here in MN I will be putting in a 50 amp circuit in my garage, I would like to fabricate some 3 point implements for my tractor and am mostly looking for a cheaper alternative to flux core wire.
I figure c02 might be my best option and a 80 bottle would be something my 63 yr old bulged disk and spinal stenosis would be able to handle. Just curious if the solid wire with gas would be cheaper than flux core.
    Sun Oct 27, 2013 10:57 pm

ODIS wrote:Thanks for the reply Oscar, I only really have experience with FCAW welding and I'm strictly self taught, plus I haven't really taught my self very well so I will be asking plenty of dumb questions. I'm not sure what you said but so be it.
I have a new Hobart 210 MVP and after it warms up a bit here in MN I will be putting in a 50 amp circuit in my garage, I would like to fabricate some 3 point implements for my tractor and am mostly looking for a cheaper alternative to flux core wire.
I figure c02 might be my best option and a 80 bottle would be something my 63 yr old bulged disk and spinal stenosis would be able to handle. Just curious if the solid wire with gas would be cheaper than flux core.
Solid wire and 100% co2 is definitely cheaper than flux core.

An aluminum 20lb co2 tank can often be found on craigslist for $50 or so and that equals approx 175 cubic feet of shielding gas.

Supposed to start warming up a little next week :)
Dave J.

Beware of false knowledge; it is more dangerous than ignorance. ~George Bernard Shaw~

Syncro 350
Invertec v250-s
Thermal Arc 161 and 300
MM210
Dialarc
Tried being normal once, didn't take....I think it was a Tuesday.
ODIS
  • ODIS

Thanks Dave. -14 at my place right now.
    Sun Oct 27, 2013 10:57 pm

ODIS wrote:Thanks Dave. -14 at my place right now.
-25 right now, but not windy and I think this little cold snap has about lost its teeth.
Dave J.

Beware of false knowledge; it is more dangerous than ignorance. ~George Bernard Shaw~

Syncro 350
Invertec v250-s
Thermal Arc 161 and 300
MM210
Dialarc
Tried being normal once, didn't take....I think it was a Tuesday.
getherdone
    Sat Feb 20, 2016 10:34 pm

This might help you - plenty specs to bite into - just went through the say research myself:

http://forum.weldingtipsandtricks.com/v ... =6&t=10781
Lincoln Power Mig 210MP
Everlast Power TIG 185
Hypertherm PowerMax 45