mig and flux core tips and techniques, equipment, filler metal
    Sat Dec 03, 2016 9:22 am

Yeah,

That Lincoln 180 looks like it's got only about 5 tapped output settings, which is relatively crude compared to ones with infinite settings on the dial.

And it's a transformer unit, weighing about 66 pounds. Some guys still like the transformer units for their simplicity and durability, even though they're energy hogs.

I'd pass on that one and ones like it, unless you really want a transformer unit, then the dual-voltage Hobart Handler 210MVP might be a good choice, at around $850. But at that price, the more full-featured, inverter-based Everlast stuff becomes more sensible to me.

No, I haven't used the Jasic or the no-name ones above. I actually haven't MIG'd anything in a long time, and now just TIG, for the most part. But I do keep a watch on MIG units though, as I'll sometimes think I may have use for MIG again.
Peace be with you all,
Christian Livingstone
www.youtube.com/newjerusalemtimes

Everlast AC/DC 210EXT (2015)
CAT250D DC-TIG/Plasma Combo
Mastiffman
    Sun Jan 15, 2017 2:33 pm

Input Current is 20a.

How much of a necessity is the infinite dial?

Well,

The infinite setting ability is not a necessity or an imperative requirement, just a big improvement over only 5 tapped heat settings.

And, are you saying that your only input is a 110/120 volt, 20 amp circuit breaker?

If so, the inverter-based MIG welder is a far better choice. But, still, having a dual-voltage will be a smart choice if you ever want to use the machine at the higher output range, as you could probably use a 220 volt extention cord to a dryer or stove outlet around most any home.

If you're running a dual-voltage inverter MIG on a 20 amp, 110 volt breaker, you'll probably only get about 100 amp output before the breaker trips.
Mastiffman wrote:Input Current is 20a.

How much of a necessity is the infinite dial?
Peace be with you all,
Christian Livingstone

Mastiffman
    Sun Jan 15, 2017 2:33 pm

No the current draw on this 230v 180a DC Mig welder is 20a. I have a 240v 40amp breaker that ill be using.

Oh,

I see.

That is surprisingly low sounding. Often there is also an unpublished "inrush" current, which is briefly higher than the operating current, but with your 40 amp circuit that will certainily be no problem.

Good luck!
Mastiffman wrote:No the current draw on this 230v 180a DC Mig welder is 20a. I have a 240v 40amp breaker that ill be using.
Peace be with you all,
Christian Livingstone

PeteM
    Sat Dec 03, 2016 11:28 am

It may have changed, but the models that had the 5 tapped voltage settings were indicated with a T, as in Sp-175 T, versus the SP-175. It doesn't make a huge difference. I have a tapped machine that I got when I worked at a LWS for really cheap, but have welded on everything from a 135 to a Dynasty 600. I've never realized any significant differences in very small incremental changes in voltage.

240V @ 40 amps should be fine. That is the same circuit I have my machine on and it has never tripped.
ODIS
  • ODIS
    Mon Dec 12, 2016 9:36 pm

This is just from my own personnel experience but if you buy a Hobart machine from a big box store and have need of service while under warranty you can get the work done at a Miller service center rather then boxing it up and sending it back. Any machine is prone to some kind of problem since they are mechanical, even ones made by a company over seas that employs slaves and their government heavily subsidizes them. I bought a Hobart 210 MVP last Dec from a Fleet Farm store in the area on sale and used one of their credit cards for an extra 10% off and it was 675 pre tax. It is quite impressive on 110 20 amp and I intend to wire my garage for 220.