mig and flux core tips and techniques, equipment, filler metal
PeteM
    Sat Dec 03, 2016 11:28 am

Chips O'Toole wrote:I was about to try using the pure argon with stainless, but I saw a Youtube video where some guy said MIG-welding stainless with pure argon gave really bad results. Is argon really the way to go? I will eventually need the bottle for TIG anyway, so it won't be wasted, but I would like to use the right thing for MIG.
I tend to blame the indian rather than the arrow. I've used argon once and it worked just fine. The rest of the time was with tri-mix, as per the codes and specs, but Jody among others have used argon with great results.
Poland308
    Thu Sep 10, 2015 8:45 pm

Think they use 95/5 at the shop.
I have more questions than answers

Josh
    Thu Jan 06, 2011 11:40 pm

Try 100% argon for short-circuit MIG. Any position. Love to hear your results.
    Thu Dec 01, 2016 12:30 pm

I decided to try the pure argon, since I already had it. I am attaching a photo. This is a flea market 1 1/16" wrench I'm turning into another bottle opener. Does the weld look okay?

I didn't get any spatter, really. I got a lot of soot, though, and the welder made a racket. For some reason the gas seemed to hiss really loud, which I never noticed before. I don't see how that can be right, though. I guess I just wasn't paying attention to the sound when I used 75/25. The pure argon kept blowing crap (soot, etc.) right off the wrench. The soot would attach, and then the argon would blow it off in sheets.

I don't understand why I can't control the wire better. I have it on a very low feed rate, and it seems like it still piles up in a big hurry.

I learned one new thing: don't use rare earth magnets close to a weld. I threw a few small magnets on the work to hold it in place while I tacked it, and I left them on while I finished the job. I found them on the floor later, demagnetized.

If you're wondering why I'm ruining wrenches, I just felt like repurposing junk tools to give me an excuse to weld.
Attachments
02 10 17 new wrench bottle opener welded with pure argon small.jpg
02 10 17 new wrench bottle opener welded with pure argon small.jpg (22.87 KiB) Viewed 926 times
I was socially distant when social distancing wasn't cool.

Here it is cleaned up.
Attachments
02 10 17 new wrench bottle opener welded with pure argon with welds ground small.jpg
02 10 17 new wrench bottle opener welded with pure argon with welds ground small.jpg (36.69 KiB) Viewed 926 times
cj737
    Thu Sep 29, 2016 8:59 am

The issue you were having was more likely due to the magnet than the gas. Magnets pull the arc all over the place. This can also disrupt the shielding gas (makes it behave like theres a breeze blowing across your work). That weld cleaned up very nicely.

Repurposing junk tools to experiment and learn with is a great and inexpensive way to learn new techniques.

The magnet problems came as a surprise to me. I've used magnets for tacking many times in the past without difficulty, so I figured it was okay to leave magnets in place while finishing a weld. They were in a place where it was not that easy to remove them, so I just kept welding.
    Thu Jan 06, 2011 11:40 pm

Chips O'Toole wrote:The magnet problems came as a surprise to me. I've used magnets for tacking many times in the past without difficulty, so I figured it was okay to leave magnets in place while finishing a weld. They were in a place where it was not that easy to remove them, so I just kept welding.
You will ruin magnets by overheating them. The rare-earth ones are the most sensitive to heat, but you can destroy any magnet by leaving it too close and welding past it.

Steve S
exnailpounder
    Thu Dec 25, 2014 9:25 am

Otto Nobedder wrote:
Chips O'Toole wrote:The magnet problems came as a surprise to me. I've used magnets for tacking many times in the past without difficulty, so I figured it was okay to leave magnets in place while finishing a weld. They were in a place where it was not that easy to remove them, so I just kept welding.
You will ruin magnets by overheating them. The rare-earth ones are the most sensitive to heat, but you can destroy any magnet by leaving it too close and welding past it.

Steve S
If you think magnets screw up mig welds, try tig welding near a magnet.
Ifyoucantellmewhatthissaysiwillbuyyouabeer.