It is currently Thu Aug 24, 2017 6:30 am Advanced search

Begginer question: welding 1/4 inch steel to 3/16th

mig and flux core tips and techniques, equipment, filler metal

Begginer question: welding 1/4 inch steel to 3/16th

Postby TimmyTheClub » Wed Feb 15, 2017 3:47 am

I am going to be building a truck bumper, and the bumper kit is 99% 3/16th. The kit also includes shackle mounts that are 1/4 inch. when welding the 1/4 to the 3/16, do i weld on a setting for the 1/4 or for the 3/16? I need it to be strong, as that is what i will be using to pull my truck out of sticky situations, but also do not want to blow through the 3/16. any information would be greatly appreciated!

as a second question, any insight on the lincoln 125 amp flux core welder? I am using a 90 amp Harbor freight to teach myself currently, and already bought it when i realized the shackle mounts were 1/4 in, unlike the rest of the bumper.
TimmyTheClub

Re: Begginer question: welding 1/4 inch steel to 3/16th

Postby exnailpounder » Wed Feb 15, 2017 8:33 am

I would look at the amperage difference between 3/16" and 1/4" on the door chart and go somewhere in between. It won't hurt to weld the whole thing at a 1/4" setting. You will get more penetration but you will have to play with the wire speed. You also might have to adjust your wire speed depending on what kind of weld you are doing. The door chart is a starting point. You will have to adjust your parameters accordingly. You will pick it up as you get more experience.
Ifyoucantellmewhatthissaysiwillbuyyouabeer.
exnailpounder
Weldmonger

Postby Farmwelding » Wed Feb 15, 2017 8:35 am

Well both machines are underpowered for doing any 1/4" in my opinion. In this case you will just have to make sure to put multiple passes in to gain as much strength as possible. Now in my experience I have never had an issue blowing through metal that was thicker than 1/8" so I would go through with welding like it was all 1/4". Also, you aren't going to blow through 3/16" with 90 amps or even 125. If it is still worrying you I would pick up some spare plate to try it in and double check but no matter what with the machines you listed you are going to need multiple passes to ensure strength.
A student now but really want to weld everyday. Want to learn everything about everything. Want to become a knower of all and master of none.
Instagram: @farmwelding
Nick
Farmwelding
Weldmonger

Postby Mike » Wed Feb 15, 2017 9:26 am

Timmy, welcome to the forum.
M J Mauer Andover, Ohio

Linoln A/C 225
Everlast PA 200
Mike
Weldmonger

Postby TimmyTheClub » Wed Feb 15, 2017 11:00 am

Thanks for the reply's everyone! the reason for sticking with the small welders for myself is that i do not have a 220 in my garage, and my house panel is full, so i am unable to even run one. any recommendation for a flux core wire that will provide a strong but not brittle weld? it seems like the Harbor Freight stuff is a little brittle.
TimmyTheClub

Postby Farmwelding » Wed Feb 15, 2017 11:25 am

TimmyTheClub wrote:Thanks for the reply's everyone! the reason for sticking with the small welders for myself is that i do not have a 220 in my garage, and my house panel is full, so i am unable to even run one. any recommendation for a flux core wire that will provide a strong but not brittle weld? it seems like the Harbor Freight stuff is a little brittle.

I know that weld.com came out recently with a video that you might want to watch. Lincoln wire is pretty good for self shieled flux core.
A student now but really want to weld everyday. Want to learn everything about everything. Want to become a knower of all and master of none.
Instagram: @farmwelding
Nick
Farmwelding
Weldmonger

Postby ex framie » Wed Feb 15, 2017 5:31 pm

Welcome Tim.
Welding aside, the design of the bumper should have the recovery points secured to the chassis rails by suitable bolts and then go through the bumper.
Nothing 1/4" welded to 3/16 without being secured to the chassis as well will handle the forces of a vehicle recovery without failing catastrophically possibly causing injury or death.

As to welding dissimilar thicknesses, practice on some scrap the same thicknesses first and see what your machines will do, what penetration you get etc. Get your settings worked out on the practice pieces, clean the weld areas down to bare shiny metal, clean the area the earth clamp will connect.
Your welds leg length should be 1/4 " on both legs.

Cheers

Exnailpounder,
You owe me a beer :D
Pete

God gave man 2 heads and only enough blood to run 1 at a time. Who said God didn't have a sense of humour.....
ex framie
Ace

Postby exnailpounder » Wed Feb 15, 2017 5:34 pm

Deal! 8-)
Ifyoucantellmewhatthissaysiwillbuyyouabeer.
exnailpounder
Weldmonger

Postby homeboy » Wed Feb 15, 2017 8:03 pm

:D I had a Lincoln 100 -120 volt wire feed flux core welder for lot of years and it worked flawlessly. I used Lincoln E717-11 all position and very satisfied. It seemed fine on up to 1/4in but slow going .I used to have a 220 -ac-dc stick for the heavier stuff anyway. Biggest problem with the 120 v is very short duty cycle because anything over 1/8 you have to crank it up fairly high. With the Lincoln you will need a 20A circuit if you are welding any more than fairly short periods at a time. They say 15A but that wouldn't cut it so we just ran a dedicated 20A and changed the welder plug to a 20A plug to prevent someone plugging into 15A and popping breakers. Hopefully you have enough spare juice to handle that. As for the tow attachment I also would be leery to tackle it with your machine. Any chance of fabbing and tacking the parts in place and having someone with the proper equipment complete it.?
homeboy
Guide

Postby homeboy » Wed Feb 15, 2017 8:08 pm

:D I had a Lincoln 100 -120 volt wire feed flux core welder for lot of years and it worked flawlessly. I used Lincoln E717-11 all position and very satisfied. It seemed fine on up to 1/4in but slow going .I used to have a 220 -ac-dc stick for the heavier stuff anyway. Biggest problem with the 120 v is very short duty cycle because anything over 1/8 you have to crank it up fairly high. With the Lincoln you will need a 20A circuit if you are welding any more than fairly short periods at a time. They say 15A but that wouldn't cut it so we just ran a dedicated 20A and changed the welder plug to a 20A plug to prevent someone plugging into 15A and popping breakers. Hopefully you have enough spare juice to handle that. As for the tow attachment I also would be leery to tackle it with your machine. Any chance of fabbing and tacking the parts in place and having someone with the proper equipment complete it? :D
homeboy
Guide

Next

Return to Mig and Flux Core - gas metal arc welding & flux cored arc welding