mig and flux core tips and techniques, equipment, filler metal
TimmyTheClub
    Wed Feb 15, 2017 3:40 am

that is what i was thinking, weld it, abuse it and fix it if it fails, repeat, then proceed with paint. I also do not intend on grinding the external bead unless it looks really bad.

when i welded what i took the picture of, the back sides of both pieces were glowing a nice bright red, I assume that means i was getting good penetration.
PeteM
    Sat Dec 03, 2016 11:28 am

More than likely, sure. On a simple visual inspection, the thing that should set off a red flag is cold lap (lack of fusion), inconsistent deposition (gaps, holes, thin/thick spots), and porosity.

It might be a good idea to get some pieces and mock up the same type of weld and position to find a good setting, then beat them to death to see if the actual weld or parent metal breaks. If the weld breaks=bad. If parent metal breaks=good.
TimmyTheClub
    Wed Feb 15, 2017 3:40 am

Definately a good Idea! being as it is 3/16th, what do I do if i cannot get either to break?
cj737
    Thu Sep 29, 2016 8:59 am

TimmyTheClub wrote:Definately a good Idea! being as it is 3/16th, what do I do if i cannot get either to break?
Definitely buy a lottery ticket. One or the other will break.
homeboy
    Mon Dec 19, 2016 11:52 pm

I have always strived to build or possibly overbuild to be on the safe side with any project. It would drive me nuts doing something without great assurance that it would do the job with lots of redundancy built in. In your situation I would picture myself in the middle of nowhere stuck to the frame -winch hooked to a tree and front bumper laying forlornly on the ground totally useless!!! If I had done all reasonable due diligence and this happened -ok crap happens-go to plan "B". If I had known that I was taking a chance from the start and got caught serves me right-my bad. It is always more work and more costly to try to repair an improper job. My 2 cents worth. :ugeek: