It is currently Wed Jun 28, 2017 6:48 pm Advanced search

Spray transfer

mig and flux core tips and techniques, equipment, filler metal

Spray transfer

Postby Farmwelding » Fri Feb 24, 2017 11:55 pm

I'm curious about spray transfer and think I'm gonna try it out with a Millermatic 252 at my school. For practice purposes, and to just get familiar with the difference between short circuit and spray, does it matter so much if I use 75/25 gas? Also, any tips for spray transfer.
A student now but really want to weld everyday. Want to learn everything about everything. Want to become a knower of all and master of none.
Instagram: @farmwelding
Nick
Farmwelding
Weldmonger

Re: Spray transfer

Postby weldin mike 27 » Sat Feb 25, 2017 12:01 am

Turn the welder up as high as it can go, turn the wire down untill it hisses, then slowly turn the wire up until you get a beautiful frying/cracking/material tearing sound. That's spray. 75/25 may work but a tri mix with som O2 in it will bring the boyz to the yard. Proceed to weld thicker than 1/8 in the flat and horizontal pos. Keep the speed up so your arc burns on to fresh metal all the time.
weldin mike 27
Weldmonger

Postby Farmwelding » Sat Feb 25, 2017 12:04 am

weldin mike 27 wrote:Turn the welder up as high as it can go, turn the wire down untill it hisses, then slowly turn the wire up until you get a beautiful frying/cracking/material tearing sound. That's spray. 75/25 may work but a tri mix with som O2 in it will bring the boyz to the yard. Proceed to weld thicker than 1/8 in the flat and horizontal pos. Keep the speed up so your arc burns on to fresh metal all the time.

What size metal would you recommend. 1/8", 1/4",3/8"-maybe? I'll have to go with 75/25 no matter what so I'll let you know and hopefully post some pics.
A student now but really want to weld everyday. Want to learn everything about everything. Want to become a knower of all and master of none.
Nick
Farmwelding
Weldmonger

Postby weldin mike 27 » Sat Feb 25, 2017 12:06 am

You can weld anything more than 1/8th inch because the weld pool will melt in almost that deep.
weldin mike 27
Weldmonger

Postby MinnesotaDave » Sat Feb 25, 2017 12:08 am

Like he said, need your volts high - note the volts he says in the video.

You may not get into spray mode with the gas you have - note the gas choices in the side bar of the video for mild steel.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=IHkbh0oKv_g
Dave J.

Beware of false knowledge; it is more dangerous than ignorance. ~George Bernard Shaw~

Airco 300 - Syncro 350
Invertec v250-s
Thermal Arc 161 and 300
MM210
Dialarc
Tried being normal once, didn't take....I think it was a Tuesday.
MinnesotaDave
Weldmonger

Postby Farmwelding » Sat Feb 25, 2017 12:12 am

MinnesotaDave wrote:Like he said, need your volts high - note the volts he says in the video.

You may not get into spray mode with the gas you have - note the gas choices in the side bar of the video for mild steel.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=IHkbh0oKv_g

My question is then how does the gas affect the arc. If the voltage is up to like 29-30 volts, why does the gas prevent it?
Nick
Farmwelding
Weldmonger

Postby Rupes » Sat Feb 25, 2017 2:22 am

I use it when I can, its a great process. No penetrations or issues, just really fast and hot. I use a proprietary mix here from BOC called Argoshield Light for general purpose mig stuff. Its made up of the following.

3.1% Oxygen, 5% Carbon Dioxide 91.9% Argon

I don't think its ideal for spray but certainly works. Short circuit is exactly that, the wire creates a short on the material being welded and melts, imparting some heat into the base metal etc. Gas shields arc and molten metal from atmosphere.

With spray, I think the higher voltage forms a hotter plasma between wire and base metal melts the wire into fine droplets before it touches the base metal. Gas composition/type has a direct effect on the plasma characteristics there for it works better with some mixes than others. And I think it also depends how much grunt the machine has, pretty sure that bit of O2 helps it go into spray with a bit easier.
Nowadays people know the price of everything and the value of nothing... Oscar Wilde
Rupes
Guide

Postby MinnesotaDave » Sat Feb 25, 2017 9:47 am

Why doesn't your teacher know and teach this? :?:

This Lincoln book covers your questions, and some other side questions that may result, from pages 1-17.

https://www.lincolnelectric.com/assets/ ... /c4200.pdf

If you need clarification, that reading should give you the background needed to be specific in your questions :)
Dave J.

Beware of false knowledge; it is more dangerous than ignorance. ~George Bernard Shaw~

Airco 300 - Syncro 350
Invertec v250-s
Thermal Arc 161 and 300
MM210
Dialarc
Tried being normal once, didn't take....I think it was a Tuesday.
MinnesotaDave
Weldmonger

Postby Farmwelding » Sat Feb 25, 2017 10:08 am

MinnesotaDave wrote:Why doesn't your teacher know and teach this? :?:

This Lincoln book covers your questions, and some other side questions that may result, from pages 1-17.

https://www.lincolnelectric.com/assets/ ... /c4200.pdf

If you need clarification, that reading should give you the background needed to be specific in your questions :)

The curriculum for our metals classes combine machining and welding. With this the classes are 45 minutes a day for one semester. We have a limited number of machines on all fronts and limited space to work efficiently for 16+ students. There is simply not enough time in the actual classes. I am on an independent study during one of those classes and I help students and am just practicing. I'll probably do this when they move to machining or before they are done with their intro project.
Nick
Farmwelding
Weldmonger

Postby Otto Nobedder » Sun Feb 26, 2017 12:40 am

If you have access to a helium tri-mix or a 90/10 argon/co2, spray is easily in your grasp. For an .035 wire, figure 27V and 225-250 IPM as a starting point, and listen for that quiet hiss previously described.

I have achieved spray with 75/25, but at closer to 32 volts on a HUGE three-phase Lincoln power source.

Steve S
Otto Nobedder
Weldmonger

Next

Return to Mig and Flux Core - gas metal arc welding & flux cored arc welding