mig and flux core tips and techniques, equipment, filler metal
Bkdsherrod
    Mon Feb 27, 2017 12:33 pm

I'm new to dual shield and I watched all of your videos and decided to give it a try. I'm using lincoln 71M .035" DCEP using a Miller 250X Ar/CO2 mix@ 30 cfh. Overall I am pleased with results. I am however getting small Jalapeno-shaped craters when I knock off the slag. I've found increasing the gas flow significantly reduces the number of craters, but it doesn't totally eliminate the problem. The weld itself is sound, with no visible porosity - these are small surface imperfections about 1/8" long. Has anyone else experienced this?
    Sun Oct 27, 2013 10:57 pm

I don't know if it matters to your specific problem, but the literature lists shielding gas flow at 40-50 CFH.
Last edited by MinnesotaDave on Tue Feb 28, 2017 9:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Dave J.

Beware of false knowledge; it is more dangerous than ignorance. ~George Bernard Shaw~

Syncro 350
Invertec v250-s
Thermal Arc 161 and 300
MM210
Dialarc
Tried being normal once, didn't take....I think it was a Tuesday.
Farmwelding
    Thu Mar 10, 2016 11:37 pm

Just be careful with turning up the gas. Don't go so high that the gas flow blows wagon wheel tracks in your welds. Like anywhere past 50-60 CFH will start blowing out metal. Watch some more videos and watch the angles they use. Your gas may be having issues based in gun angle too.
A student now but really want to weld everyday. Want to learn everything about everything. Want to become a knower of all and master of none.
Instagram: @farmwelding
Nick
jg21184
    Tue May 03, 2016 3:14 pm

I also experience this problem from time to time. I have been told they are called worm cracks and they drive me crazy. I can run a good clean weld one minute and the next weld will be full of these imperfections. My wire is good clean wire, metal is clean and gas flow and coverage is good. What else can i do to prevent this.
Bkdsherrod
    Mon Feb 27, 2017 12:33 pm

I did try increasing the shielding gas flow up to about 45 CFH and this did result in fewer "worm tracks" but it didn't totally eliminate them. I am using .035 lincoln 71M with 75/25% mix. The worm tracks don't appear to be associated with any type of porosity in the weld, but rather miniature Jalapeno-shaped depressions randomly spaced on the top of the weld bead.
Farmwelding
    Thu Mar 10, 2016 11:37 pm

Is there any contaminants on the base plates? If the truck that carried the steel passed through on a winter storm and coated in salt or something like that, it could have a lot of contaminants causing porosity. What cleaning are you doing?
A student now but really want to weld everyday. Want to learn everything about everything. Want to become a knower of all and master of none.
Instagram: @farmwelding
Nick
    Fri Apr 01, 2011 10:59 pm

This is caused by too much voltage. Crank up the wire speed.

It doesn't seem right, but thats it. We call it worm tracks.