mig and flux core tips and techniques, equipment, filler metal
wrxconedodger
    Wed Mar 22, 2017 10:57 pm

I recently used my SP 125 Plus to weld up a 2x72 belt grinder frame. I nearly finished the project and then moved on to welding a new head for my table saw fence. However, when I try to weld the wire will feed for about 1-2 seconds and stops. Turning the wire feed faster or slower does change the feed rate but the motor still stops feeding. I still have power at the gun and if I try to feed the wire immediately after it shuts off it goes and stops immediately. I've reduced the tension on the spool nut to the point it has none, I've also changed and checked the tension on the feed which hasn't helped. When it does feed the feed motor sounds like it is straining. Changing the weld power does nothing to help. Any help would be greatly appreciated!
    Fri Apr 01, 2011 10:59 pm

Some feed motors have a load sensitive feature. If it has trouble feeding for a second, it'll cut off. Tell me this, can you take the gun off or see quick connect switch wires where the gun comes out?

Had a quick look at the machine. It looks like you can take the gun off. Do this, you have to the wire back on to the reel. Once the gun is off, take a small piece of mig wire, bent into a u shape and poke it into the two gun switch cables. This will bridge the switch circuit and make the welder feed. If it works, the problem is the gun, (tip, liner) and if it doesnt, the issue is somewhere else in your machine.
Mike
    Mon Dec 06, 2010 1:09 pm

Welcome...
M J Mauer Andover, Ohio

Linoln A/C 225
Everlast PA 200
wrxconedodger
    Wed Mar 22, 2017 10:57 pm

Tried jumping leads at gun and at the machine with no change.

That rules out the gun then. I'd say she given up the ghost. We don't have those welders in Australia, but I'd say theres little value in paying to have it fixed, unfortunately.
Poland308
    Thu Sep 10, 2015 8:45 pm

It's possible that It needs a drive motor assembly. I think there are some gears on splined shafts that are part of the whole deal and one of them may be stripped. You might be able to buy a replacement assembly. Since it's likely junk I would at least open it up to see. But the cost of a new part might be almost as much as a new machine that size. If that's the case then now might be a good time to upsize.
I have more questions than answers

Josh