mig and flux core tips and techniques, equipment, filler metal
WildWestWelder
    Mon Apr 03, 2017 7:43 pm

I recently bought a Miller 252 package which came with their 30A spool gun. All the cables/hose look on the spool gun durable but I would like to cover them with something light but protective. I have seen the zippered and velcro types but I'm looking for what I used years ago for TIG torch cables. It was a black webbed/woven (like Chinese fingers) fiberglass that slipped over the cables and would be secured on both ends usually with electricians tape. Anybody know where I can find this?

Thanks
exnailpounder
    Thu Dec 25, 2014 9:25 am

WildWestWelder wrote:I recently bought a Miller 252 package which came with their 30A spool gun. All the cables/hose look on the spool gun durable but I would like to cover them with something light but protective. I have seen the zippered and velcro types but I'm looking for what I used years ago for TIG torch cables. It was a black webbed/woven (like Chinese fingers) fiberglass that slipped over the cables and would be secured on both ends usually with electricians tape. Anybody know where I can find this?

Thanks
USAweld sells leather covers. Your gonna like that 252. I love mine.
Ifyoucantellmewhatthissaysiwillbuyyouabeer.
WildWestWelder

exnailpounder wrote:
WildWestWelder wrote:I recently bought a Miller 252 package which came with their 30A spool gun. All the cables/hose look on the spool gun durable but I would like to cover them with something light but protective. I have seen the zippered and velcro types but I'm looking for what I used years ago for TIG torch cables. It was a black webbed/woven (like Chinese fingers) fiberglass that slipped over the cables and would be secured on both ends usually with electricians tape. Anybody know where I can find this?

Thanks
I have only used it on steel so far and I love it.

Getting back to the cover/protector, I don't know why that black braided fiberglass cover is nowhere to be found. It's lighter an very abrasion resistant. I have used the leather and it works but it is heavier.
    Thu Dec 26, 2013 12:41 am

The good stuff is pricey:
$8+/foot
http://www.firesleeveandtape.com/high-t ... ction.html

You can get the Chinese versions which are thinner and "stiff", for a lot less.
I got 100' of this straight from China for like $16. Shipped. lol. I believe it is saturated with acrylic, so it tends to want to stay in circular shape as opposed to collapsing under its own weight.

This one dude on Ebay has 3/4" ID kevlar sleeve real cheap. 50' of it ran me $54 shipped. Nice and soft and flexible.

https://www.delcity.net/store/Fiberglas ... 1.h_806822

Oh, and don't ask me what I'm doing with it. It's a surprise. :)
exnailpounder
    Thu Dec 25, 2014 9:25 am

WildWestWelder wrote:
exnailpounder wrote:

Thanks
I have only used it on steel so far and I love it.

Getting back to the cover/protector, I don't know why that black braided fiberglass cover is nowhere to be found. It's lighter an very abrasion resistant. I have used the leather and it works but it is heavier.
Ok so back to the 252...It doesn't have a really soft start so the workaround is hit the switch for a sec and let off and before the machine can think, hit the switch again and it makes a beautifully soft start. I got spoiled by an old Millermatic 200 mig machine I had that welded like a dream...sorry I sold it but I have no complaints about the 252 other than the hard start. Have you noticed what I'm talking about?
Ifyoucantellmewhatthissaysiwillbuyyouabeer.
kblenker#22
    Tue Jul 15, 2014 9:23 pm

flame.PNG
flame.PNG (37.16 KiB) Viewed 939 times
I bought a used tig torch and the guy had this on it and i was skeptical at first but now i really love it. it is way lighter than a leather cover, and it keeps all my hoses in line (water cooled torch). the only draw back is it will melt when in contact with hot metal. not sure if this helps but you can get them and others from mcmaster in there electrical covers section.
rahtreelimbs
    Mon Jun 14, 2010 10:39 pm

Check out REI. They sell 1" tubular webbing. I use it on all my rig torches.
WildWestWelder

Thanks Oscar and Kblenker#22, you got me headed in the right direction!

WildWestWelder

Hey, just a follow up.

I purchased some 1-1/2" - 2" dia. woven kevlar (aramid) sleeving. It is just the ticket. I'll be pulling it through tomorrow. If you need some then here ya go.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/112285327189?_t ... EBIDX%3AIT

BTW, I am not associated with this seller at all.
    Thu Dec 26, 2013 12:41 am

Looks good, like a more expensive version of mine, lol. Mine probably came from China.