mig and flux core tips and techniques, equipment, filler metal
Scott Morris
    Thu Mar 30, 2017 10:23 am

I have noticed using one of those triangle shaped magnets, it completely changes how the welder sounds and the weld looks. Say if I am welding square tubing to a plate, everytime the first side using the magnet the welder sounds different and the weld is not as good. As soon as I remove the magnet, the welder sounds much better and the weld looks much better. IF I use a clamp to hold the tubing the first pass is normal. Anyone else noticed this? I assume they must work since every weld shop I have been to has them.

Thanks

SM
exnailpounder
    Thu Dec 25, 2014 9:25 am

Magnets will definitely screw with your arc. It's even worse on Tig. You need to avoid having a magnet in your immediate weld area. Also if you heat up a magnet, it will ruin it.
Ifyoucantellmewhatthissaysiwillbuyyouabeer.
Scott Morris

exnailpounder wrote:Magnets will definitely screw with your arc. It's even worse on Tig. You need to avoid having a magnet in your immediate weld area. Also if you heat up a magnet, it will ruin it.
Thanks, glad to know it is not just me......

SM
Coldman
    Mon Dec 15, 2014 2:16 am

The idea is to tack while the magnet holds the pieces in place and remove the magnet to weld out.

Sent using Tapatalk
Flat out like a lizard drinkin'
bruce991
    Tue Jan 05, 2016 10:31 pm

I can tack with one close but that is it, in TIG you will notice arc rolls around and around and acts like wind is blowing across it.
    Fri Apr 01, 2011 10:59 pm

Its called arc blow.
Scott Morris

weldin mike 27 wrote:Its called arc blow.
Thanks....... learning something new everyday.

SM
    Thu Jan 06, 2011 11:40 pm

Arc blow can also happen in the absence of magnets, if something has magnetized the metal such as cold-working, or previous welds in the presence of a magnetic field. It's more obvious when stick welding.

Steve S
    Fri Apr 01, 2011 10:59 pm

Quite true Steve. It happens regularly while stick welding on dc. I've had a few issues with it, (If you call wanting to throw your project through a wall an issue) and this was simply the natural magnetic field. Moving the earth clamp around can help.