mig and flux core tips and techniques, equipment, filler metal
exnailpounder
    Thu Dec 25, 2014 9:25 am

Otto Nobedder wrote:Thanks to Jeff, I don't have to draw it. That's an excellent example. One time-consuming variation (which I had in mind when calling the task time-consuming) is to do the reverse side opposite the face side, so the butt is vertical, where on the face side it's horizontal. This further breaks up the relationship between loads and welds, but is likely overkill for most purposes. It is no longer just a band-saw job, at that point.

Steve
Yeah Steve the band saw is just so quick that it doesn't really add any appreciable time to a build and it looks good and it stronger than a miter. I have taken some good natured grief for "over building" things and I always come back with " if I didn't want it to be strong, I would have used balsa wood and Saran Wrap" If I get a chance, I will run over to the fast lube center the next town over and take a few pics of the hanging catwalks I built many moons ago. Everything is coped and neatly welded...my partner and I were always commended for how slick our work was. I miss those days.
Ifyoucantellmewhatthissaysiwillbuyyouabeer.
    Thu Jan 06, 2011 11:40 pm

exnailpounder wrote:
Otto Nobedder wrote:Thanks to Jeff, I don't have to draw it. That's an excellent example. One time-consuming variation (which I had in mind when calling the task time-consuming) is to do the reverse side opposite the face side, so the butt is vertical, where on the face side it's horizontal. This further breaks up the relationship between loads and welds, but is likely overkill for most purposes. It is no longer just a band-saw job, at that point.

Steve
Yeah Steve the band saw is just so quick that it doesn't really add any appreciable time to a build and it looks good and it stronger than a miter. I have taken some good natured grief for "over building" things and I always come back with " if I didn't want it to be strong, I would have used balsa wood and Saran Wrap" If I get a chance, I will run over to the fast lube center the next town over and take a few pics of the hanging catwalks I built many moons ago. Everything is coped and neatly welded...my partner and I were always commended for how slick our work was. I miss those days.
I'll have to dig up some pictures of my own. Not related directly to the topic, but to "attention to detail". At an ethanol plant in Iowa, we were building gas trains for the distiller's grain dryers. I did all the fitting, and my partner and I shared the welding. Our meth-head boss was always on us to move quicker... Until the biggest bosshole Fagen ever hired, the pipe foreman for the site (who looked at our little twelve man crew of misfits like something he'd scrape off his shoe) actually complemented us on how professional our work looked.

The Meth-head boss would come try to push us now and again, but had lost his magic.

Steve
Clifford_Pierce
    Thu Jul 27, 2017 6:00 am

Use angle grinder.it's your best option.
homeboy
    Mon Dec 19, 2016 11:52 pm

I have the 41/2in Dewalt and the Milwaukee Fuel with paddle switch and they make a great pair. The Dewalt with a 30-40 grit flap disk has the power to hog material fast and the Milwaukee is handy for the lighter stuff,dressing up etc. Don't expect a 5amh battery to wear you out but with a spare or two it will do a lot of work. :D :geek: