It is currently Tue May 23, 2017 12:43 pm Advanced search

Angle iron miter mig welding

mig and flux core tips and techniques, equipment, filler metal

Re: Angle iron miter mig welding

Postby exnailpounder » Fri May 05, 2017 8:57 am

Otto Nobedder wrote:Thanks to Jeff, I don't have to draw it. That's an excellent example. One time-consuming variation (which I had in mind when calling the task time-consuming) is to do the reverse side opposite the face side, so the butt is vertical, where on the face side it's horizontal. This further breaks up the relationship between loads and welds, but is likely overkill for most purposes. It is no longer just a band-saw job, at that point.

Steve

Yeah Steve the band saw is just so quick that it doesn't really add any appreciable time to a build and it looks good and it stronger than a miter. I have taken some good natured grief for "over building" things and I always come back with " if I didn't want it to be strong, I would have used balsa wood and Saran Wrap" If I get a chance, I will run over to the fast lube center the next town over and take a few pics of the hanging catwalks I built many moons ago. Everything is coped and neatly welded...my partner and I were always commended for how slick our work was. I miss those days.
Ifyoucantellmewhatthissaysiwillbuyyouabeer.
exnailpounder
Weldmonger

Re: Angle iron miter mig welding

Postby Otto Nobedder » Fri May 05, 2017 6:54 pm

exnailpounder wrote:
Otto Nobedder wrote:Thanks to Jeff, I don't have to draw it. That's an excellent example. One time-consuming variation (which I had in mind when calling the task time-consuming) is to do the reverse side opposite the face side, so the butt is vertical, where on the face side it's horizontal. This further breaks up the relationship between loads and welds, but is likely overkill for most purposes. It is no longer just a band-saw job, at that point.

Steve

Yeah Steve the band saw is just so quick that it doesn't really add any appreciable time to a build and it looks good and it stronger than a miter. I have taken some good natured grief for "over building" things and I always come back with " if I didn't want it to be strong, I would have used balsa wood and Saran Wrap" If I get a chance, I will run over to the fast lube center the next town over and take a few pics of the hanging catwalks I built many moons ago. Everything is coped and neatly welded...my partner and I were always commended for how slick our work was. I miss those days.

I'll have to dig up some pictures of my own. Not related directly to the topic, but to "attention to detail". At an ethanol plant in Iowa, we were building gas trains for the distiller's grain dryers. I did all the fitting, and my partner and I shared the welding. Our meth-head boss was always on us to move quicker... Until the biggest bosshole Fagen ever hired, the pipe foreman for the site (who looked at our little twelve man crew of misfits like something he'd scrape off his shoe) actually complemented us on how professional our work looked.

The Meth-head boss would come try to push us now and again, but had lost his magic.

Steve
Otto Nobedder
Weldmonger

Previous

Return to Mig and Flux Core - gas metal arc welding & flux cored arc welding