It is currently Tue Nov 21, 2017 5:13 pm Advanced search

How am I doing?

mig and flux core tips and techniques, equipment, filler metal

How am I doing?

Postby Sacman » Wed Apr 26, 2017 9:05 pm

It been a while since I've been on here. I'm a beginner and haven't had much time to practice with the Lincoln weld pak 100 that was given to me. I put some time in today and was wondering how these welds look on 3/16 angle using 0.35 flux core. Also how do I know if there is good penetration? What should I be looking for? Thanks any advice for this newbie is appreciated. Image

ImageiImageImage sorry just realized these didn't post for whatever reason. Thanks again
Sacman

Re: How am I doing?

Postby Poland308 » Wed Apr 26, 2017 11:33 pm

Almost looks like you need to increase your wire feed speed. Have you calculated your feed rate?
I have more questions than answers

Josh
Poland308
Weldmonger

Postby Sacman » Thu Apr 27, 2017 12:36 am

Poland308 wrote:Almost looks like you need to increase your wire feed speed. Have you calculated your feed rate?
well nope, wasn't thinking about it. Thanks!!! I thought I had it saved, no dice. Where I can find it on website? first started out today I adjusted according to the inside cover of the machine.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Sacman

Postby Farmwelding » Thu Apr 27, 2017 6:18 am

Sacman wrote:
Poland308 wrote:Almost looks like you need to increase your wire feed speed. Have you calculated your feed rate?
well nope, wasn't thinking about it. Thanks!!! I thought I had it saved, no dice. Where I can find it on website? first started out today I adjusted according to the inside cover of the machine.

You are actually going to have to measure your wire speed. Hold the trigger for 6 seconds. Stop. Measure wire that is out of gun. Multiply by 10-to get ipm of wfs. And instead of cutting the wire, you can just release the drive roll tension and bring the wire back through the gun as to not waste.
A student now but really want to weld everyday. Want to learn everything about everything. Want to become a knower of all and master of none.
Instagram: @farmwelding
Nick
Farmwelding
Weldmonger

Postby Sacman » Thu Apr 27, 2017 6:51 am

Farmwelding wrote:
Sacman wrote:

You are actually going to have to measure your wire speed. Hold the trigger for 6 seconds. Stop. Measure wire that is out of gun. Multiply by 10-to get ipm of wfs. And instead of cutting the wire, you can just release the drive roll tension and bring the wire back through the gun as to not waste.

Cool thanks! After I do that, how do I apply to what I'm working on? Is there more to this rule of thumb? It seems easy enough to do but I feel like there is more to it. Thanks for your help, Chris.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Sacman

Postby Farmwelding » Thu Apr 27, 2017 6:54 am

If you have a volt meter that would be helpful too. You can measure your volts to have what they actually are. I would write all of this in the door of your machine. If you have all this info, you can accurately use somethin like the miller weld calcualator or we can help you more because your machines wire settings are different than the next machine so it increases the accuracy of our responses
A student now but really want to weld everyday. Want to learn everything about everything. Want to become a knower of all and master of none.
Instagram: @farmwelding
Nick
Farmwelding
Weldmonger

Postby Poland308 » Thu Apr 27, 2017 7:03 am

Does your machine have the wire feed speed labeled in inches per minute or is it lettered A B C? Same question for voltage. Lots of the smaller machines use a simple number or letter to indicate a range of feed speed or volts. You may be able to find a cross reference chart on the web. But like Nick said an actual check is always more accurate. Then you can get some recommendations on settings to try or things to check out further.
I have more questions than answers

Josh
Poland308
Weldmonger

Postby Sacman » Thu Apr 27, 2017 9:17 am

Farmwelding wrote:If you have a volt meter that would be helpful too. You can measure your volts to have what they actually are. I would write all of this in the door of your machine. If you have all this info, you can accurately use somethin like the miller weld calcualator or we can help you more because your machines wire settings are different than the next machine so it increases the accuracy of our responses

Poland308 wrote:Does your machine have the wire feed speed labeled in inches per minute or is it lettered A B C? Same question for voltage. Lots of the smaller machines use a simple number or letter to indicate a range of feed speed or volts. You may be able to find a cross reference chart on the web. But like Nick said an actual check is always more accurate. Then you can get some recommendations on settings to try or things to check out further.

Nick, I do a volt meter, how would I test? Would it be each setting on voltage knob? Where would I test? Poland308 yes the welder voltage settings are a-d and wire speed is 1-10. I appreciate all help and advice, thanks again. Chris

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Sacman

Postby Sacman » Thu Apr 27, 2017 4:35 pm

I found this in the operators manual I hope this helps a little. I tried the wire speed measuring . I'm not sure if I'm doing it right, but I rolled the wire back so it was flush with the tip. I went to lowest setting with was 1 held for 6 seconds and came out to be just about 5 inches. Thanks Chris.

INPUT – SINGLE PHASE ONLY Voltage/Frequency 115V/60Hz 115V/60Hz Input Current 20 Amps - Rated Output 15 Amps - CSA Rated output RATED OUTPUT Duty Cycle 20% Amps 88 Volts 18 CSA RATED OUTPUT Duty Cycle 20% Amps 62 Volts 20 OUTPUT RANGE Welding Current Range Rated DC Output: 30 - 100 amps Maximum Open Circuit Voltage 32 Wire Speed Range 50 - 300 IPM (1.3 - 7.6 m/min) PHYSICAL DIMENSIONS Height 12.0 in 305 mm Width 9.75 in 248 mm Depth 16.5 in 419 mm Weight 47 Ibs 21.4 kg RECOMMENDED INPUT CABLE AND FUSE SIZES at RATED OUTPUT Fuse Size Input Amps Power Cord 20 Amp 20 15 Amp, 125V Three Prong Plug (NEMA Type 5-15P) 15 Amp 12 15 Amp, 125V Three Prong Plug (NEMA Type 5-15P) Extension Cord Up to 25 Ft. (7.6 mm): Three Conductor #14 AWG (2.1 mm2) or Larger Up to 50 Ft. (15.2 mm): Three Conductor #12 AWG (3.3 mm2) or Larger

Sacman

Postby PeteM » Thu Apr 27, 2017 5:09 pm

That does help to know its maximum capabilities.

By measuring outputs though, you can find the machines "sweet spots" for different types of welds and wire sizes. For uphill, being able to hit it at like 18.5 volts and between 220-230 ipm. or stainless at X volts and Y ipm, etc. It's also nice to have some settings you can pretty much hang your hat on as good. Then if something is going wrong- you know it is really going wrong, rather than it being just a bad set up for the type of wire and weld.

You can check operating voltage at the terminals where they connect to the gun block and clamp (+ and -) by having someone hold the pins of the voltmeter to the posts as you do a short weld.
PeteM
Ace

Next

Return to Mig and Flux Core - gas metal arc welding & flux cored arc welding