It is currently Mon May 22, 2017 3:11 pm Advanced search

120V MIG welder question

mig and flux core tips and techniques, equipment, filler metal

120V MIG welder question

Postby ryanjames170 » Fri May 05, 2017 9:00 pm

so i have a Hobart 130 Mig welder that i use for odd stuff or just messing around.. and i am wondering would running smaller 024 wire vs 030 wire along with C02 vs C25 help it both penitrate better and also weld better as far as less problems with stubbing due to a lack of umph behind it..
RM Fab & Products

Miller 2E DC Welder Generator
AHP 160ST
Hobart "Auto Arc" 130
Klutch Plasma 275i Plasma Cutter
HFT 80 amp DC inveter stick
Hobard Oxy Torch using propane.
Metal Man FC125
ryanjames170
Guide
 
Posts: 168
Joined: Sun Sep 25, 2016 12:46 pm
Location: Wisconsin

Re: 120V MIG welder question

Postby Poland308 » Fri May 05, 2017 9:21 pm

Yes and yes.
I have more questions than answers

Josh
Poland308
Weldmonger
 
Posts: 1896
Joined: Thu Sep 10, 2015 8:45 pm
Location: Iowa

Re: 120V MIG welder question

Postby Farmwelding » Fri May 05, 2017 9:22 pm

Yeah smaller wire will help you if you pop breakers and CO2 is pretty much solid penetration so...
A student now but really want to weld everyday. Want to learn everything about everything.
warning!! Bad English may be in post. It's off a phone/autocorrect. I've had teachers with worse spelling!
Instagram: @farmwelding
Nick
Farmwelding
Weldmonger
 
Posts: 1062
Joined: Thu Mar 10, 2016 11:37 pm
Location: Wisconsin

Re: 120V MIG welder question

Postby MinnesotaDave » Fri May 05, 2017 10:49 pm

Farmwelding wrote:Yeah smaller wire will help you if you pop breakers and CO2 is pretty much solid penetration so...


Curious, to what specifically do you attribute less breaker popping?
Dave J.

Beware of false knowledge; it is more dangerous than ignorance. ~George Bernard Shaw~

Airco 300 - Syncro 350
Invertec v250-s
Thermal Arc 161 and 300
MM210
Dialarc
Tried being normal once, didn't take....I think it was a Tuesday.
User avatar
MinnesotaDave
Weldmonger
 
Posts: 1416
Joined: Sun Oct 27, 2013 10:57 pm
Location: Bemidji MN, U.S.A.

Re: 120V MIG welder question

Postby MinnesotaDave » Fri May 05, 2017 10:54 pm

ryanjames170 wrote:so i have a Hobart 130 Mig welder that i use for odd stuff or just messing around.. and i am wondering would running smaller 024 wire vs 030 wire along with C02 vs C25 help it both penitrate better and also weld better as far as less problems with stubbing due to a lack of umph behind it..


Smaller wire = higher current density which may increase penetration - at least for how I understand the behavior.

If WFS is adjusted so that .024" and .030" wire are running at the same amperage, the higher current density could yield more penetration.

Stubbing into the weld is often due to a less than ideal ground and/or too fast WFS for the set voltage.
Dave J.

Beware of false knowledge; it is more dangerous than ignorance. ~George Bernard Shaw~

Airco 300 - Syncro 350
Invertec v250-s
Thermal Arc 161 and 300
MM210
Dialarc
Tried being normal once, didn't take....I think it was a Tuesday.
User avatar
MinnesotaDave
Weldmonger
 
Posts: 1416
Joined: Sun Oct 27, 2013 10:57 pm
Location: Bemidji MN, U.S.A.

Re: 120V MIG welder question

Postby Farmwelding » Fri May 05, 2017 11:03 pm

MinnesotaDave wrote:
Farmwelding wrote:Yeah smaller wire will help you if you pop breakers and CO2 is pretty much solid penetration so...


Curious, to what specifically do you attribute less breaker popping?

I don't remember specifically which video, but I am almost 100% certain Jody had mentioned it in one of his 110v mig welder videos when he was doing some repair or something. He said that using smaller wire reduces the amount of breakers popping. Seeing my lack of knowledge of electrical circuits, in gonna go with something about amperage drawn? Like I said I'm oretty sure about that...
A student now but really want to weld everyday. Want to learn everything about everything.
warning!! Bad English may be in post. It's off a phone/autocorrect. I've had teachers with worse spelling!
Instagram: @farmwelding
Nick
Farmwelding
Weldmonger
 
Posts: 1062
Joined: Thu Mar 10, 2016 11:37 pm
Location: Wisconsin

Re: 120V MIG welder question

Postby MinnesotaDave » Fri May 05, 2017 11:22 pm

Farmwelding wrote:
MinnesotaDave wrote:
Farmwelding wrote:Yeah smaller wire will help you if you pop breakers and CO2 is pretty much solid penetration so...


Curious, to what specifically do you attribute less breaker popping?

I don't remember specifically which video, but I am almost 100% certain Jody had mentioned it in one of his 110v mig welder videos when he was doing some repair or something. He said that using smaller wire reduces the amount of breakers popping. Seeing my lack of knowledge of electrical circuits, in gonna go with something about amperage drawn? Like I said I'm oretty sure about that...


If the WFS is adjusted for the same amperage output for both wires
-and if it takes the same voltage setting to make them run correctly
-and (amps)(volts) = watts
...then where is the reduced amperage draw?

But of course I'm no expert, I still ponder and ask questions.
Dave J.

Beware of false knowledge; it is more dangerous than ignorance. ~George Bernard Shaw~

Airco 300 - Syncro 350
Invertec v250-s
Thermal Arc 161 and 300
MM210
Dialarc
Tried being normal once, didn't take....I think it was a Tuesday.
User avatar
MinnesotaDave
Weldmonger
 
Posts: 1416
Joined: Sun Oct 27, 2013 10:57 pm
Location: Bemidji MN, U.S.A.

Re: 120V MIG welder question

Postby Farmwelding » Fri May 05, 2017 11:29 pm

I went and watched a couple of the videos I thought he mentioned it in but couldn't find it... So I may have been tired one night and misheard it. Dave has a logical argument so I'd go with what he said. Sorry about that. Again always happy to be proven wrong. Gotta learn from your mistakes
A student now but really want to weld everyday. Want to learn everything about everything.
warning!! Bad English may be in post. It's off a phone/autocorrect. I've had teachers with worse spelling!
Instagram: @farmwelding
Nick
Farmwelding
Weldmonger
 
Posts: 1062
Joined: Thu Mar 10, 2016 11:37 pm
Location: Wisconsin

Re: 120V MIG welder question

Postby cj737 » Sat May 06, 2017 7:14 am

MinnesotaDave wrote:If WFS is adjusted so that .024" and .030" wire are running at the same amperage, the higher current density could yield more penetration.

Stubbing into the weld is often due to a less than ideal ground and/or too fast WFS for the set voltage.

You are correct, IF the WFS is equal. Using 0.024 wire should allow lower voltage to yield the same penetration proportionally as 0.030 wire (all things being equal). In theory, that would reduce the amperage draw. But I would not make these changes to accommodate a electrical current draw issue. Fix the breaker, because ultimately you will overdraw the circuit.

Not that this aspect was part of the OP's question....

It sounds to me (stubbing, lack of penetration, etc....) are all aspects of the same problem: insufficient machine for the application. You're wanting to swap gas to get more penetration. You're running a high WFS to get more voltage. You're too slow with your travel speed to force more burn in and instead bumping the wire. All point to poor setup vs application. Sometimes, you just can't weld whats in front of you with a 110v machine.
cj737
Ace
 
Posts: 323
Joined: Thu Sep 29, 2016 8:59 am

Re: 120V MIG welder question

Postby Poland308 » Sat May 06, 2017 8:37 am

If the machine doesn't have enough qehonas to put down .030 wire. Then it might have enough to put down .025 wire at a slower speed.
I have more questions than answers

Josh
Poland308
Weldmonger
 
Posts: 1896
Joined: Thu Sep 10, 2015 8:45 pm
Location: Iowa

Next

Return to Mig and Flux Core - gas metal arc welding & flux cored arc welding