mig and flux core tips and techniques, equipment, filler metal
WeldItUp
    Thu May 11, 2017 12:03 pm

I'm working on my first real project, a welding cart (seems to be tradition), and I wanted to ask for some feedback before I attempt to finish welding it together. I'm using a Hobart 210MVP, C25 gas at 20cfm and .030 Hobart brand solid wire. Most of the pics are of my initial tack welds and then a few attempts at finishing those seams. Most were done horizontal, and one I attempted vertical up just because. I did not want to weld any more of the cart until I got a chance to get some feedback. ImageImageImageImageImageImage

Any info and/or critique is welcomed and much appreciated!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Poland308
    Thu Sep 10, 2015 8:45 pm

I noticed what looks like pealing paint around some of the welds. That can be a contributing factor to some of the smoke and extra spatter.
I have more questions than answers

Josh
WeldItUp

Poland308 wrote:I noticed what looks like pealing paint around some of the welds. That can be a contributing factor to some of the smoke and extra spatter.

WeldItUp

The steel I'm using for the lower frame was from a old piece of gym equipment that is painted. I realized after starting on the project that the area I had prepped for welding wasn't large enough to keep the heat from affecting it. That will change today. The remaining steel I have is new, cleaned with soap/water and acetone over the weld areas

homeboy
    Mon Dec 19, 2016 11:52 pm

I just found a 4 1/2 in rust and paint remover grinder disc ( Canadian Tire ) which cleans off mill scale,paint or rust in a jiffy. They look a bit like course cotton candy with embedded abrasives. Just cleaning the areas before assembly will help. The nice thing is they don't score the metal like a grind stone or flap disc if that matters. :D :geek:
WeldItUp

homeboy wrote:I just found a 4 1/2 in rust and paint remover grinder disc ( Canadian Tire ) which cleans off mill scale,paint or rust in a jiffy. They look a bit like course cotton candy with embedded abrasives. Just cleaning the areas before assembly will help. The nice thing is they don't score the metal like a grind stone or flap disc if that matters. :D :geek:
Thanks for the recommendation! If you're able I would like to see a pic of the disc you're describing. I have had various success with cutting wheels (used to cope the frames - first time doing that), grinding discs and recently flap discs. It seems they don't last too long, and if the grit is too coarse they certainly will eat away some material

homeboy
    Mon Dec 19, 2016 11:52 pm

To see a picture go to Amazon.com -3m sandblaster 9681-4 1/2in course clean+strip disc. EBAY also has them with pictures. I have been using the drill style for a while and just happened on the grinder style recently. Harbour freight has one also but not a very good picture. They aren't cheap but do work well. Good luck. :D :geek:
WeldItUp

After some love and much needed attention to detail, a little more refresher from Jody's videos, grinding and redo of some welds, leveling and polishing, my project is almost done!

WeldItUp

Thu Jan 06, 2011 11:40 pm

Very nice result!

I like the pneumatic tires, to roll over damn near anything in a typical shop floor (cords, air hoses, random dropped nuts and bolts, etc.)

Steve
WeldItUp

Otto Nobedder wrote:Very nice result!

I like the pneumatic tires, to roll over damn near anything in a typical shop floor (cords, air hoses, random dropped nuts and bolts, etc.)

Steve
Thanks Steve! I debated back and forth on pneumatic vs solid, but I can say they roll over bumps and cords like a dream so far. They are 10" tires, 4" casters up front

WeldItUp

This is a pic of my "workshop" away from home