mig and flux core tips and techniques, equipment, filler metal
Poland308
    Thu Sep 10, 2015 8:45 pm

[quote="Antorcha"]Take a deep breath. Let the smoke out slow.
#1. Forget using a 110 welder on 3/8 steel. Period.
#2. Forget using a 110 welder on 3/8 steel. Period.
#3. Go get some 1/8 steel.Leave your machine maxed out. Go weld some 1/8 steel.
Penetrated purty good didnit ?

Ever took a look inside the door on that machine Aussie ? See anything about 3/8 steel ?

But,,,,even though he won't be able to make a 3/8 bead capable of welding 3/8 in a single pass. He should be just fine welding a bead big enough for 1/8 steel on a 3/8 plate. It won't just stop working because the plates too thick. If he's on good clean steel and gets the machine dialed in then the resulting weld will have good wet in on the edges. Regardless of how thick the base plate is!
I have more questions than answers

Josh
PeteM
    Sat Dec 03, 2016 11:28 am

How much penetration is necessary beyond an approximately 30/70 proportion of filler to base metal mixture for a given size of bead?
Its welding, not gouging.
Citroën
    Mon Mar 12, 2012 1:35 pm

I don't know that particular machine - But are you running the right polarity?
Something looks very wrong.
Migatronic Automig 233 MPS
Migatronic Sigma² 400 Pulse CW
Migatronic Pilot 2400 HP
Lcgixxer87
    Fri Jun 02, 2017 5:24 pm

PeteM wrote:Also, how is your gun angle? It shouldn't be more than a few degrees off of 90, but a lot of new to mig guys will end up tilting the gun way over to kind of see what is going on. That just stacks the metal upon itself with virtually no penetration/fusion. This also messes up the contact tip to work distance.
I'm new to mig myself, just done it a few days breaking from my vertical stick. I can get good penetration and a good form up to for the most part on my laps but am having trouble with the lower end piling a little and not penetrating. I think this gun angle tip will be helpful. I do a good tilt in stick, perhaps I need to do a more straight on approach with the mig gun

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Lcgixxer87
    Fri Jun 02, 2017 5:24 pm

I'm new to mig myself, just done it a few days breaking from my vertical stick. I can get good penetration, pretty beads, and a good form up top for the most part on my laps but am having trouble with the lower end of the bead piling a little. I think this gun angle tip will be helpful. I do a good tilt in stick, perhaps I need to do a more straight on approach with the mig gun

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
288nicko
    Wed Jun 28, 2017 1:37 am

Shouldn't the ER70s-6 (a really common type of mig wire) be able to cut through that mill scale?
Poland308
    Thu Sep 10, 2015 8:45 pm

Mill scale is just slag from the manufacturers process. You can cut through it but your best results will come from removing it first.
I have more questions than answers

Josh