It is currently Wed Jul 26, 2017 4:28 pm Advanced search

For people looking for practice

mig and flux core tips and techniques, equipment, filler metal

For people looking for practice

Postby Farmwelding » Thu May 18, 2017 10:31 pm

I got bored today so I welded the crap out of some 1/4" plate in a t-joint. Took 2 hours welding and cooling. 55 passes and 2.5 miles of wire at around 18.4 volts and around 260 ipm. Good practice stacking beads and to get better at reason and watching the puddle. As you can see, one side was favored more than the other which I am thinking had something to do with by the time I got to the top of the joint it was hot as hell so it sunk deep into the metal and other welds.
Attachments
image.jpeg
image.jpeg (37.09 KiB) Viewed 433 times
image.jpeg
image.jpeg (50.07 KiB) Viewed 433 times
image.jpeg
image.jpeg (37.88 KiB) Viewed 433 times
A student now but really want to weld everyday. Want to learn everything about everything. Want to become a knower of all and master of none.
Instagram: @farmwelding
Nick
Farmwelding
Weldmonger

Re: For people looking for practice

Postby Poleframer » Fri May 19, 2017 12:01 am

"If you can step across it I can weld it, and if ya can't, I'll weld till you can" HAHAHA
Poleframer
Workhorse

Postby PeteM » Fri May 19, 2017 12:04 am

Good consistency!
PeteM
Ace

Postby shady » Sun May 21, 2017 11:06 pm

How long did you let it cool between beads?
shady

Postby Farmwelding » Mon May 22, 2017 6:54 am

shady wrote:How long did you let it cool between beads?

Between the individual beads, little to none. Every time I finished a layer though I dunked it for awhile. That kept the heat under control pretty well
A student now but really want to weld everyday. Want to learn everything about everything. Want to become a knower of all and master of none.
Nick
Farmwelding
Weldmonger

Postby Popeye the old miner » Fri May 26, 2017 9:32 pm

I do the same thing sometimes when there is nothing to do and I get bored...usually when I am at home here.. i'll do it vertical or overhead maybe horizontal...I hate welding flat for some reason.. sometimes i will do it at some crazy angle or throw some other crazy thing into the mix just to make it more difficult. Good practice
Popeye the old miner
Workhorse

Postby Turbo » Sun May 28, 2017 10:10 pm

You should have my job. I thought working in a machine shop would be great until the second week I got 7 pieces dropped off in my corner that were about 15 feet long 2 inch thick and 30 inches wide on bottom, 8" wide on the top. They said "add 3/16" in paint pen on each end of them. That was about 15 hours of running .045 metal core and grinding.
Miller Dynasty 210dx
Turbo
Workhorse

Postby Farmwelding » Sun May 28, 2017 10:23 pm

Turbo wrote:You should have my job. I thought working in a machine shop would be great until the second week I got 7 pieces dropped off in my corner that were about 15 feet long 2 inch thick and 30 inches wide on bottom, 8" wide on the top. They said "add 3/16" in paint pen on each end of them. That was about 15 hours of running .045 metal core and grinding.

That sounds like a ton of fun!
Nick
Farmwelding
Weldmonger

Postby Turbo » Mon May 29, 2017 10:15 pm

Farmwelding wrote:
Turbo wrote:You should have my job. I thought working in a machine shop would be great until the second week I got 7 pieces dropped off in my corner that were about 15 feet long 2 inch thick and 30 inches wide on bottom, 8" wide on the top. They said "add 3/16" in paint pen on each end of them. That was about 15 hours of running .045 metal core and grinding.

That sounds like a ton of fun!

Are you anywhere near Kaukauna? I'm not quitting yet though.
Miller Dynasty 210dx
Turbo
Workhorse

Postby Farmwelding » Mon May 29, 2017 10:18 pm

No I am in Beloit so about two hours-but I'm just a junior in high school right now so...I have to think about what kind of work I want to do-and see what I am best at. I figure I'll do what I'm best at and make money doing a damn fine job and work on my skills at home in the mean time.
Nick
Farmwelding
Weldmonger

Next

Return to Mig and Flux Core - gas metal arc welding & flux cored arc welding