mig and flux core tips and techniques, equipment, filler metal
WeberWelds
    Fri Jun 09, 2017 11:20 pm

Just started school yesterday and my teachers don't give me much feedback. I've tig welded quite a bit before but this is my first time doing mig. Wondering if you guys could give me some feedback
Attachments
IMG_0025.JPG
IMG_0025.JPG (93.36 KiB) Viewed 787 times
Mike
    Mon Dec 06, 2010 1:09 pm

Welcome to the forum.
M J Mauer Andover, Ohio

Linoln A/C 225
Everlast PA 200
    Thu Dec 26, 2013 12:41 am

Piling welds on top of welds is good to get a feel for things, but you're gonna need to actively look for proper weld reinforcement/penetration. When you pile bead after bead, the entire part is gonna be too massive and you'll run out of power to make a proper weld bead. In most instances, you want a little bit of a crown, but not when its accompanied with a large weld toe angle, as that is where cracks initiate under large amounts of stress.

Only you can check these things in-person. With MIG it's far too easy to pile on too much metal without ensuring proper weld bead profile/penetration. Polishing/etching is your friend.
WeberWelds
    Fri Jun 09, 2017 11:20 pm

So basically I need to make some welds that are spaced apart from each other on a fresh base so I can really see what I'm putting down?
288nicko
    Wed Jun 28, 2017 1:37 am

My welding school starts us out on 1/8inch plate 1/16 open root (push and pull) then moves us onto 3/32 gap