mig and flux core tips and techniques, equipment, filler metal
    Wed Jan 22, 2014 12:00 am

I am welding up some .120 wall 2x2 mild steel box tubing. For a change and as a learning experience, I decided to ignore the door chart and try the method Jody outlines in this video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sZuq4XQTHVs

I am running a Hobart Handler 190, 0.030 ER70S6 Lincoln Superarc L56 wire, C25 gas, and I set the wire speed to 240 inches per minute (24 inches of wire in 6 seconds, I timed it). I could not find a voltage setting that would work. The wire was popping and sputtering and hissing.

I took apart the gun, blew out the liner, reinstalled the gun and tightened down the drive roller to make sure I wasn't having wire feed issues. Re-measured the wire feed speed again, and still no luck. Now if I turn up the wire feed speed to somewhere around 450 inches a minute, I had no problem dialing it in, on either tap 4 or tap 5. Coincidentally this is the setting the door chart recommends.

So what am I doing wrong? why does this work for Jody with his 210MVP, but not on my 190? the machines are not all that different.
Multimatic 255
    Wed Jan 22, 2014 12:00 am

nothing??
Multimatic 255
PeteM
    Sat Dec 03, 2016 11:28 am

Just speculation, and I didn't want to stick my neck out too far, but- The spec sheet for L-56 specifies co2 for the lower speeds, and only get into mixed gasses at higher deposition rates.

So maybe its a property of the wire? I've run L-56 a ton, but always at lower rates and always with co2. Never had problems as you described, but it also never occurred to me that there would be a significant difference either way.