It is currently Mon Oct 23, 2017 2:07 am Advanced search

New to welding - Need advice on welding different thickness

mig and flux core tips and techniques, equipment, filler metal

New to welding - Need advice on welding different thickness

Postby JayR » Tue Jun 27, 2017 1:29 pm

I am new to welding. A friend of mine asked me to fix his industrial trike. It has a broken "band-brake" which consists of a collar which is threaded into a 1/6" disc. The threads are stripped. I would like weld the collar to the disc.

I am looking for advice on how to proceed. Both pieces attract a magnet.

Can these pieces be welded since they are of very different thickness?
What type of welder should be used?

Any input is appreciated.

Thanks!
Jason
Attachments
DSC07217.JPG
DSC07217.JPG (127.93 KiB) Viewed 363 times
DSC07218.JPG
DSC07218.JPG (126.74 KiB) Viewed 363 times
JayR

Re: New to welding - Need advice on welding different thickn

Postby noddybrian » Tue Jun 27, 2017 4:52 pm

If the 2parts will thread back together leaving little chance of mis alignment then I think the easiest would be an autogenous Tig weld on the thin edged side - putting much heat in on the flat side will likely cause it to warp.
noddybrian
Weldmonger

Postby cj737 » Tue Jun 27, 2017 7:40 pm

Be aware, the collar appears to be zinc plated and that will play a bit of havoc with welding (TIG).

The trick with welding differing thicknesses is to focus the majority of heat on the thicker piece, then whip over to the thinner side.
cj737
Weldmonger

Postby Turbo » Tue Jun 27, 2017 8:05 pm

You didn't say what type of welder you have. Practice on some similar sized scrap.
Miller Dynasty 210dx
Turbo
Workhorse

Postby Turbo » Tue Jun 27, 2017 8:07 pm

Just realized we are in the mig/flux forum.
Miller Dynasty 210dx
Turbo
Workhorse

Postby JayR » Tue Jun 27, 2017 10:08 pm

noddybrian wrote:If the 2parts will thread back together leaving little chance of mis alignment then I think the easiest would be an autogenous Tig weld on the thin edged side - putting much heat in on the flat side will likely cause it to warp.

The pieces do fit back together so there should be no misalignment. I will take a look at autogenous Tig welding as I am not familiar with it.

I was looking at flux core welders like the Lincoln Electric 120-Volt MIG Flux-Cored Wire Feed Welder.

Thanks for your input
Jason
JayR

Postby JayR » Tue Jun 27, 2017 10:11 pm

cj737 wrote:Be aware, the collar appears to be zinc plated and that will play a bit of havoc with welding (TIG).

The trick with welding differing thicknesses is to focus the majority of heat on the thicker piece, then whip over to the thinner side.

If there is zinc plating would this cause problems with flux core MIG welders as well?

Thanks!
JayR

Postby JayR » Tue Jun 27, 2017 10:16 pm

Turbo wrote:You didn't say what type of welder you have. Practice on some similar sized scrap.

Practicing on similar sized scrap may be a challenge. I don't know exactly what these parts are made of. I think I can get some thin and thick steel plate to practice on.

Thanks for your input.
JayR

Postby homeboy » Tue Jun 27, 2017 10:50 pm

Many years ago I had a similar setup with a hub into a sprocket. A local machinest / handy guy silver soldered it together and it ran a small hydraulic pump for years with no problems. Just a thought. :geek:
homeboy
Guide

Postby JayR » Wed Jun 28, 2017 11:01 am

homeboy wrote:Many years ago I had a similar setup with a hub into a sprocket. A local machinest / handy guy silver soldered it together and it ran a small hydraulic pump for years with no problems. Just a thought. :geek:

I had not considered silver solder. Because of the high shear stress the bond will be subject to, I would like to try silver brazing, if I can heat the pieces to a sufficient temperature with my propane torch.

"The shear strength of brazed joints typically exceeds that of soldered joints by a factor of five. " https://ewi.org/should-you-solder-it-or-braze-it/

I would imagine if the silver solder/brazing did not work I could still weld it.

Thanks for the input!
JayR

Next

Return to Mig and Flux Core - gas metal arc welding & flux cored arc welding