mig and flux core tips and techniques, equipment, filler metal
stefuel
    Sat May 27, 2017 6:26 am

Stick welding it's amps. Tig welding it's amps. Plasma cutting it's amps. Why is MIG welding volts?
    Sun Oct 27, 2013 10:57 pm

The wire feed speed is the amperage - more speed requires more amps to burn.

Since the wire diameter can be changed, setting amps to control wire speed would require more electronics.

Voltage only controls width and height of the bead - more volts equals a wider flatter puddle

Does that answer your question?
Dave J.

Beware of false knowledge; it is more dangerous than ignorance. ~George Bernard Shaw~

Syncro 350
Invertec v250-s
Thermal Arc 161 and 300
MM210
Dialarc
Tried being normal once, didn't take....I think it was a Tuesday.
Farmwelding
    Thu Mar 10, 2016 11:37 pm

Mig welding is amps as well. Dave said it pretty well though. Some machines that have a digtal readout show the amperage while you are welding.
A student now but really want to weld everyday. Want to learn everything about everything. Want to become a knower of all and master of none.
Instagram: @farmwelding
Nick
stefuel
    Sat May 27, 2017 6:26 am

What got me thinking or perhaps over thinking this is how my friend interfaces his spool gun with his diesel powered stick welding machine. He bought this rig probably 25 years ago. I assume he must have some interface between the power source and the spool gun. I would guess this interface would have to provide variable power for the spool gun drive motor, a shielding gas solenoid valve and the ability to turn welding current on/off
Farmwelding
    Thu Mar 10, 2016 11:37 pm

There are many different wire feeders available for engine drive welders. Different machines control different aspects of the wire feeding process at the engine drive but most is done at the wire feeder.
A student now but really want to weld everyday. Want to learn everything about everything. Want to become a knower of all and master of none.
Instagram: @farmwelding
Nick