mig and flux core tips and techniques, equipment, filler metal
Joe
  • Joe
    Tue Jul 27, 2010 7:52 pm

My trusty Miller 251 has developed a stutter. It worked fine 2 days ago, then yesterday it began cutting out. I start the arc fine and I'm pushing along and the arc just quits momentarily then restarts. I'm welding at 18 volts and wfs of 250 ips. I haven't changed any settings since 2 days ago. I suspect the wire feed somehow because the wire does not stub into the work. Also, the wire doesn't burn back to the tip either. If I am patient and stop my forward progress and keep the trigger pulled, so far the arc restarts and I can continue welding. Any ideas appreciated.
Joe
sschefer
    Wed Aug 18, 2010 7:44 pm

The liner is dirty. Probably just as cheap to replace it with a new one.
Highly skilled at turning expensive pieces of metal into useless but recyclable crap..
Joe
  • Joe

Thanks for the idea about the liner. That might be part of the problem. I'll look into it. But I think I improved things a lot by methodically going through and cleaning the rollers. I found them to be a little dirty. After cleaning them most of the stuttering cleared up.
joe
joseph.mowery
    Wed Feb 09, 2011 7:27 pm

Try blowing some air under low pressure from the gun end to clean out your liner also.
anthonyfawley
    Fri Apr 23, 2010 6:58 pm

could also check the spool and make sure the wire is not crossed up.
Joe
  • Joe

Thanks everyone for the suggestions. I'm up and running again after cleaning the rollers and making sure the wire on the reel wasn't crossed up. It's just something I had never run into before. I'll know what to check next time.
Joe