mig and flux core tips and techniques, equipment, filler metal
stigweld
    Thu Jul 20, 2017 10:31 pm

Hi,

I'm on a project at work and was wondering if anyone could give me some advice.

We are building a pressure vessel out of 5/8inch, 516-70 plate and need to weld it all with metal core wire. My question is regarding the welding of the heads to the body. Both head and body have a 37.5 degree bevel and we have a 3/32 gap and land. We do not have access to the inside for welding and the seams are being x-rayed. The tank is on a positioner so all welding is in the 1G. What would be some good parameters for this task? Can it be done with spray transfer?
Any advice would be helpful.

Thanks.
Bingo
    Mon Jul 03, 2017 11:03 pm

stigweld wrote:Hi,

I'm on a project at work and was wondering if anyone could give me some advice.

We are building a pressure vessel out of 5/8inch, 516-70 plate and need to weld it all with metal core wire. My question is regarding the welding of the heads to the body. Both head and body have a 37.5 degree bevel and we have a 3/32 gap and land. We do not have access to the inside for welding and the seams are being x-rayed. The tank is on a positioner so all welding is in the 1G. What would be some good parameters for this task? Can it be done with spray transfer?
Any advice would be helpful.

Thanks.
It's been about 2 years since I was on a positioner with metal core but iv done a bunch of pipe with it. First don't go into spray on the root. Our fit up was 1/8 + with a feather edge running.045 at 19-22 volts I can't remember ipm . For the root you sit about 1 o'clock and stay on the leading edge of the puddle, fill /cap I believe I was at about 28 volts and you have to sit just off 12 o'clock favoring 11 o'clock and that helps from getting bbs all over your weldment! I hope that helps