mig and flux core tips and techniques, equipment, filler metal
moregrip
    Wed Jul 05, 2017 11:38 am

Good morning all. I've been wanting to weld at home for the better part of 10 years. Took a few welding classes in 05, SMAW and TIG. My intended use is home hobby working mostly on sheet metal and chassis fabrication. Right now I only have 110 but will be upgrading to 220 in the future so a machine that can run off both would be my preference.

I'm looking for a solid machine that might have features to allow welding automotive sheet metal easier.

Thanks!
Farmwelding
    Thu Mar 10, 2016 11:37 pm

Price range, types and sizes of material, etc. will be helpful in your search.
A student now but really want to weld everyday. Want to learn everything about everything. Want to become a knower of all and master of none.
Instagram: @farmwelding
Nick
moregrip

I'd say 18 gauge sheetmetal to 3/16ths is about all I'd ever do. Less than $1000. Mostly mild steel.

How helpful are spot/stitch weld features?

Looking at the Everlast PowerMIG 200
Farmwelding
    Thu Mar 10, 2016 11:37 pm

Would you be interested in a multiprocess machine like a 210mp? Sometimes it is nice to be able to stick weld stuff if it is thicker or needs more rigidity.
A student now but really want to weld everyday. Want to learn everything about everything. Want to become a knower of all and master of none.
Instagram: @farmwelding
Nick
moregrip

Farmwelding wrote:Would you be interested in a multiprocess machine like a 210mp? Sometimes it is nice to be able to stick weld stuff if it is thicker or needs more rigidity.
I might be

moregrip wrote:
Farmwelding wrote:Would you be interested in a multiprocess machine like a 210mp? Sometimes it is nice to be able to stick weld stuff if it is thicker or needs more rigidity.
I might be
I have a Tweco (now ESAB I think) Fabricator 211i that I really like. Runs on 120 or 240, does MIG, stick, and lift arc TIG (DC only). And holds a 12" wire spool. Got mine for $900 out the door at my LWS.
Miller Bobcat 225
Tweco Fabricator 211i
AHP AlphaTIG 200x
Lincoln SP-135+
Hypertherm Powermax 30 Air
ProStar O/A torch
moregrip

ldbtx wrote:
moregrip wrote:
I might be
I have a Tweco (now ESAB I think) Fabricator 211i that I really like. Runs on 120 or 240, does MIG, stick, and lift arc TIG (DC only). And holds a 12" wire spool. Got mine for $900 out the door at my LWS.
That looks pretty solid but I think I'm going to stick to separate MIG/TIG machines. Any other recommendations?
cj737
    Thu Sep 29, 2016 8:59 am

If you want machines specifically capable of welding sheet metal, then you would do well to purchase machines with "pulse" capabilities (TIG and MIG). These will be more expensive, especially if you buy two separate machines. You didn't mention any interest or need to weld aluminum, so a DC only TIG will be less expensive. Many MIG machines do support Spool Guns to MIG aluminum if you have that need.

There's many good reasons to buy a multiprocess machine (flexibility, cost, single unit, etc) but if your budget permits, then you can buy two very nice machines that will last you and cover all capabilities. You just need to outline your funding and requirements so more relevant recommendations can be offered.
moregrip

cj737 wrote:If you want machines specifically capable of welding sheet metal, then you would do well to purchase machines with "pulse" capabilities (TIG and MIG). These will be more expensive, especially if you buy two separate machines. You didn't mention any interest or need to weld aluminum, so a DC only TIG will be less expensive. Many MIG machines do support Spool Guns to MIG aluminum if you have that need.

There's many good reasons to buy a multiprocess machine (flexibility, cost, single unit, etc) but if your budget permits, then you can buy two very nice machines that will last you and cover all capabilities. You just need to outline your funding and requirements so more relevant recommendations can be offered.
Initially I will be doing sheet metal work but that will evolve into chassis grade fabrication. I've seen videos of the spot and stitch weld functions; look very useful

Just looking to get a solid MIG machine right now.
cj737
    Thu Sep 29, 2016 8:59 am

Here you go-
https://www.weldingsuppliesfromioc.com/ ... _level=781

All these machines will support up to 300 amps (plenty for chassis fabrication too) and most of these would be considered "shop" machines. If you reduce the output voltage to <200 amps, then you'll see other more affordable options.