mig and flux core tips and techniques, equipment, filler metal
bosulli
    Tue Apr 05, 2016 9:40 am

Everlast Power I-Mig 210. Had it 1 year, with light use. I started a stair case job using dual shield flux core. Can't get more then 10 CFH thru the flow meter. 1000 psi in tank. When the hose is disconnected from machine, flow meter will top out.

Called Everlast Tech Support. Usually they seem to understand my issue, seem knowledgeable, but this last guy seem to not have experience with the machine, and was reading from a "if this, then do that" script.

He said there is a kink in the line. I blew compressed air thru the lead hose. Air came out forceably, but when I blow with my mouth (no jokes pls), air barely comes out. I checked inside the machine for kinks, as the tech said to, and of course I could not see any kinks, as the cover has never been off. You cant blow air thru the machine side air line, as the solenoid valve is closed, and you cant open it with the lead off, or can you? There is not a test gas button.

Can you replace or fix the gas line in the lead, or should I gamble and get a new one?

Started a stair case job, and at 10 CFH, I am getting some porosity with the dual shield. So far, I have been just tacking the parts, and waiting to get gas issue fixed before I weld it out.

Thanks for reading and any suggestions.
cj737
    Thu Sep 29, 2016 8:59 am

I don't know your machine, but things I would also do is to disconnect the work hose from the machine and inspect it to potentially remove any obstructions that may have gotten between the machine and work lead. With the work hose disconnected, but the tank hose connected, can you activate the gas solenoid and blow gas through? This would "purge" the machine internals...

Is the contact tip and gas nozzle obstructed at the work end?
bosulli

Thanks cj737.

I have disconnected the lead. Blown compressed air thru it, and a strong flow came out the work end. I have blown thru it with my mouth, and it was hard, but air came thru. I have taken every part off the work lead, except taking out the sleeve. I have ran a filler wire thru it manually, and it went thru easily.

How will the solenoid open up to let gas thru, if the lead is not connected to the machine and I depressed the trigger? Guess I could connect a jumper wire between the electrodes coming out of the machine. That should activate the solenoid and I can check how much gas is coming out the machine end of the gas line.
Poland308
    Thu Sep 10, 2015 8:45 pm

Put your lead back on the machine like if you were going to run it. Then just don't put wire in. Turn it on and try it out. It should run the solinoid just like normal. It is possible to get debris stuck inside the solenoid from not cleaning up the tank fitting. They do make a flow tester you can hold over the end of your gas cup when you check it out in this way so you are able to see exactly how much gas your getting.
I have more questions than answers

Josh
bosulli

Getting debris out of the solenoid sounds promising. I am cautions of sticking screwdrivers in there, given the 6 large capacitors.
bosulli

Did further diagnosis testing. Put a jumper cable on the electrodes coming out of the machine. Gas come on, and flow meter read 10 CFH as it did with lead on. So its not the lead, its internal to the machine.

I have taken the cover off twice now, and its on back on now. Afraid to tinker in there unless I have specific instructions on what to do. Ill try to call Everlast Tech Support Monday.
Warrenh
    Thu Apr 27, 2017 12:31 pm

I have had trouble with miller machines when I didnt push the lead in far enough where it connects to the machine. If that doesnt seat correctly it can cause had trouble ay least in a miller. No experience with everlast.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk
Poland308
    Thu Sep 10, 2015 8:45 pm

Most of those solenoids have rubber tips on the plunger. It could be debris or it could be that the thing came apart internally. With the machine unplugged of course, you could remove the solenoid and see if it's disassemble able. Some cheap ones are pressed togeather. But others can be taken apart and checked.
I have more questions than answers

Josh
cj737
    Thu Sep 29, 2016 8:59 am

On my MIG machine, my work lead has a separate control wire to plug into the machine, so I can run the solenoid without the work lead... as I said, I don't know your machine.

So to be really thorough, you've checked with soapy water all the gas connections from tank to regulator, to hose, to machine, to work lead? Warren also makes an excellent point about seating the work lead fully into the gas port. And of course, your tank is wide open? Have you attempted to adjust your regulator flow too insuring its registering properly (may have to disconnect hose from machine and spend some gas to test this)?
    Sat Mar 30, 2013 11:49 am

bosulli wrote: Put a jumper cable on the electrodes coming out of the machine. Gas come on, and flow meter read 10 CFH as it did with lead on.
I would now by-pass the solenoid and measure again. If it's ok then you can be sure it's the solenoid valve.
bosulli

When the hose is disconnected from the machine, the flow meter will top out, so everything behind the connection to the machine is G2G.

When I remove the lead, and jump the terminals at the machine output, the digital meters come on, the wire feed motor engages, and the flow meter reads 10 CFH (flow meter valve wide open). So, the issue is between the gas IN connection and the machine output (where you connect the lead to the machine).

Now, as andersK proposed, to by pass the solenoid. The internal line runs behind the circuit boards, and I am not confident about poking around back there when the capacitors could still be full of angry pixies.