mig and flux core tips and techniques, equipment, filler metal
    Sat Aug 01, 2015 8:38 am

OzFlo wrote:You don't just want to have a go with a roll of flux core for the time being?
No, not really.

The idea of maybe buying a Mig is that I can tack joints and brackets on my bike projects while in the shed, then move it to my garage (where the Tig lives) for final welding. I don't want to have to clean up the tacks.

Avoiding flux core sits on the same agenda as trying to cut down (a lot) on abrasive cutting. I really want to eventually eliminate abrasive dust, swarf, grit and slag from the shed, where I also build engines.

If I use gasless Mig to tack, buy a bandsaw for most cutting and try to do my grinding mostly outside, my shed interior will be so much cleaner.

Kym
    Sat Mar 30, 2013 11:49 am

weldin mike 27 wrote:Yeah gas buying sucks.
It does :mrgreen:

Can you rent by the day in Oz?
Sometimes better than buying the small bottles if it is on a limited time.

Here I think rent is about 30 to 40 % more compared to a contract. The cost of the gas is the same as on contract but better than if you own the bottle.
OzFlo
    Sat Sep 26, 2015 10:16 pm

MosquitoMoto wrote:
OzFlo wrote:You don't just want to have a go with a roll of flux core for the time being?
No, not really.

The idea of maybe buying a Mig is that I can tack joints and brackets on my bike projects while in the shed, then move it to my garage (where the Tig lives) for final welding. I don't want to have to clean up the tacks.

Avoiding flux core sits on the same agenda as trying to cut down (a lot) on abrasive cutting. I really want to eventually eliminate abrasive dust, swarf, grit and slag from the shed, where I also build engines.

If I use gasless Mig to tack, buy a bandsaw for most cutting and try to do my grinding mostly outside, my shed interior will be so much cleaner.

Kym
Fair enough mate. Although "man" "shed" and "clean" should scarcely be referred to in the same sentence unless one wants to wear the moniker of a big girl's blouse.. Just kidding :lol: Grinding dust is a real pain as it goes EVERYWHERE!!
    Sat Aug 01, 2015 8:38 am

Yeah, the crap gets everywhere.

It's simply not a healthy environment in which to work on engines. I'd hate to have a race bike go 'bang' on the track and always be left wondering if it was due to a little bit of grit getting in somewhere despite my best efforts.

Dust is one thing, abrasive grit and swarf by comparison are no joke.

K
    Fri Oct 02, 2015 8:37 am

The plain bearing is a miracle of engineering when you consider how it works and the load it takes, doesn't take much grit to root that all to hell.
Nowadays people know the price of everything and the value of nothing... Oscar Wilde
OzFlo
    Sat Sep 26, 2015 10:16 pm

Rupes wrote:The plain bearing is a miracle of engineering when you consider how it works and the load it takes, doesn't take much grit to root that all to hell.
In a former life I was an aircraft maintenance engineer for an airline and as an apprentice I spent some time overhauling big gas turbine engines. Lots of high tolerance bearings and labyrinth seals to control airflow and lubrication. The bearings had to be assembled wearing cotton gloves because the oils from one's skin were corrosive enough to effect the surface finish of the bearing causing premature wear and early failure.