mig and flux core tips and techniques, equipment, filler metal
    Sat Aug 01, 2015 8:38 am

OzFlo wrote:Kym,

Ask yourself the question "Can I live without a mig machine right now?" If the answer is "yes" then ask yourself another question "can I live without a mig for the foreseeable future?" If the answer is still yes make a plan to start saving for a decent unit and work towards it. You'll be happier in the long run and will ultimately save yourself some money.

If the answer to the original question is "no" then you have some compromises to make. I'd steer clear of Rossi and anything that is sold by Edisons or any other alias they choose to trade under with ebay. Their customer service is terrible and their products and product support is woeful.

Flo

That's the sort of info I need....good thoughts, thanks Flo!

Moz
    Fri Apr 01, 2011 10:59 pm

Call David Steeples at welding machinery in QLD. http://weldmac.com.au/equipment/welding-machines/ He is an agent for unimig and kempii, also has lots of used machines, Judging by the photos he sent me. Could be worth a look. A deal on a nice little kempii evo or a unimig would be sweet as.

Thanks Mike!

Moz

Pleasure. Apparently Its run by David and David Jnr. I believe David Jnr is the welder salesman.
    Fri Oct 02, 2015 8:37 am

I'm with Ozflo on this. I'd save for what you want or check out the used market for something suitable

Not much good to you as the freight would kill it as its a heavy as f#$k transformer machine. But I'm about to sell off my BOC (Kemppi Model) 250R. Has a remote feeder, is 250amps, can spray transfer easily on regular migshield. Only reason for selling is I have the EWM 3 phase up and running.

I'd be happy with $500 for it. Point is its a lot of welder for the money, not electronics to fail as such, even has a genuine Binzel torch probably worth $250 by itself. I'm sure they or something similar come up time to time in Victoria, just gotta keep the eyes peeled for bargains. I think I paid $700 and bought the Binzel for it a few years ago.

I know you don't get the new box feeling but still every time I see a thread about looking for a welder but on a budget I think of used quality machine over brand new ebay special every time.
Nowadays people know the price of everything and the value of nothing... Oscar Wilde

If I wasn't dirt poor, I'd be on that like a something on a something....

Thanks for the tips guys.

I agree that a clean, quality brand used machine makes a lot of sense. Shame I am in South Horse Trailer, backwater of the universe. It'll take a lot of patience but I'm sure I'll find such a machine eventually.

Moz

SA is where I found a 100kg Peter Wright anvil for about $700 I think.

That almost new 355 amp EWM synergic pulse mig came from SA too. I think I paid $2500. Retail on that was at least 6k from memory.

The plus side of SA is that its a buyers market. Both items above would have been wayyyy more had they been sold in Sydney. Downside is you have to wait a while for them to show up on gumtree or ebay.
Nowadays people know the price of everything and the value of nothing... Oscar Wilde
Coldman
    Mon Dec 15, 2014 2:16 am

Yer, they also got that southwark beer down there......
Blerk

Sent using Tapatalk
Flat out like a lizard drinkin'

Southwark...green death. Good grief no!

When I drink beer I tend to drink Asahi.

How's this...talking with a guy at work today, turns out he used to be a full time welder and boilermaker. "I've got a really decent quality Mig at home, it's been used about twice. You're welcome to borrow it and give it a go, let me know if you like it..."

Moz
Coldman
    Mon Dec 15, 2014 2:16 am

That never happens to me. Score!

Sent using Tapatalk
Flat out like a lizard drinkin'

How'd you go with the loaner mig? What brand is it?

weldin mike 27 wrote:How'd you go with the loaner mig? What brand is it?
Late reply, sorry.

Don't know what brand yet but the guy in question is a solid bloke and I'm willing to bet it's a big brand machine, I just haven't had time to take advantage of his kindness yet - because of course when I grab the Mig I'll also have to get gas (prfft!) and a new spool of wire.

Will report here once I have the loaner in my hot little mitts.

Mozzie

Sweet as, Yeah gas buying sucks. It took me ages to be able to afford gas for home.
OzFlo
    Sat Sep 26, 2015 10:16 pm

You don't just want to have a go with a roll of flux core for the time being?

OzFlo wrote:You don't just want to have a go with a roll of flux core for the time being?
No, not really.

The idea of maybe buying a Mig is that I can tack joints and brackets on my bike projects while in the shed, then move it to my garage (where the Tig lives) for final welding. I don't want to have to clean up the tacks.

Avoiding flux core sits on the same agenda as trying to cut down (a lot) on abrasive cutting. I really want to eventually eliminate abrasive dust, swarf, grit and slag from the shed, where I also build engines.

If I use gasless Mig to tack, buy a bandsaw for most cutting and try to do my grinding mostly outside, my shed interior will be so much cleaner.

Kym
    Sat Mar 30, 2013 11:49 am

weldin mike 27 wrote:Yeah gas buying sucks.
It does :mrgreen:

Can you rent by the day in Oz?
Sometimes better than buying the small bottles if it is on a limited time.

Here I think rent is about 30 to 40 % more compared to a contract. The cost of the gas is the same as on contract but better than if you own the bottle.
OzFlo

MosquitoMoto wrote:
OzFlo wrote:You don't just want to have a go with a roll of flux core for the time being?
No, not really.

The idea of maybe buying a Mig is that I can tack joints and brackets on my bike projects while in the shed, then move it to my garage (where the Tig lives) for final welding. I don't want to have to clean up the tacks.

Avoiding flux core sits on the same agenda as trying to cut down (a lot) on abrasive cutting. I really want to eventually eliminate abrasive dust, swarf, grit and slag from the shed, where I also build engines.

If I use gasless Mig to tack, buy a bandsaw for most cutting and try to do my grinding mostly outside, my shed interior will be so much cleaner.

Kym
Fair enough mate. Although "man" "shed" and "clean" should scarcely be referred to in the same sentence unless one wants to wear the moniker of a big girl's blouse.. Just kidding :lol: Grinding dust is a real pain as it goes EVERYWHERE!!

Yeah, the crap gets everywhere.

It's simply not a healthy environment in which to work on engines. I'd hate to have a race bike go 'bang' on the track and always be left wondering if it was due to a little bit of grit getting in somewhere despite my best efforts.

Dust is one thing, abrasive grit and swarf by comparison are no joke.

K

The plain bearing is a miracle of engineering when you consider how it works and the load it takes, doesn't take much grit to root that all to hell.
OzFlo

Rupes wrote:The plain bearing is a miracle of engineering when you consider how it works and the load it takes, doesn't take much grit to root that all to hell.
In a former life I was an aircraft maintenance engineer for an airline and as an apprentice I spent some time overhauling big gas turbine engines. Lots of high tolerance bearings and labyrinth seals to control airflow and lubrication. The bearings had to be assembled wearing cotton gloves because the oils from one's skin were corrosive enough to effect the surface finish of the bearing causing premature wear and early failure.