mig and flux core tips and techniques, equipment, filler metal
Josh MacD
    Wed Apr 26, 2017 10:57 am

I have a simple Hobart Handler 120 and I use 75/25 gas for MIG welding. I'm a very new welder and have been learning on some very simple fabrication projects. My wife has a project or 2 for me that might work best in aluminum (I may have to use sheet metal instead). Is it possible to use my set-up to weld aluminum? I tried to search through this forum but didn't see anything other than TIG welding aluminum.

Thanks in advance.
Hobbyist MIG welder with 75/25 gas on a Lincoln SP-140 in my garage/workshop/gym/storage space. Very new and still learning.

"Service is the rent you pay for room on this earth" - Shirley Chisholm
MikeFW
    Thu Aug 24, 2017 11:16 am

FYI I just purchased my first TIG unit to weld 14 gauge aluminum tread plate with.

You definitely can weld Aluminum with MIG. For me anything thinner than 11 gauge was just not working out. I was using a spool gun, which helped with the soft aluminum wire, but bird nesting was still a problem.

You will have to get pure argon. the C25 will not work, my understanding is it has a higher thermal conductivity. Maybe one our the experienced individuals can explain.

Edit --> Just looked up on EBay and they do have a teflon liner for the H-14 for $12 US (I think this is your torch.)
Check the costs of getting the second tank of Argon.
Last edited by MikeFW on Thu Aug 24, 2017 4:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.
    Sat Mar 30, 2013 11:49 am

The short version is yes.

But, you need a bottle of pure Argon

Don't know anything about your machine but the hardest part is to get the wire to feed smoothly if the machine isn't built for aluminium.
The lining in the hose must be in very good condition as well as the neck, to much friction and you will create a bird's nest inside.

The tension must be set carefully, to high and it will flatten the wire, to soft and it will slip causing irregular wire speed.
I have created lots of bird nests trying this in a mig that wasn't up to it...

A spool gun is to prefer if you have that option.
cj737
    Thu Sep 29, 2016 8:59 am

Pretty sure your machine won't run aluminum nor support a spool gun.

Birds nesting is usually too low a wirefeed speed with aluminum. If you feel the wire bumping the parent metal, increase your volts.
Coldman
    Mon Dec 15, 2014 2:16 am

Any mig can run aluminium that has the right parts are available. The right parts are:
- teflon liner to reduce friction
- knurled drive rollers in the correct diameter to grip the wire without flattening it.

Keep the whip as straight as possible to the gun, this reduces the risk of bird nesting. Blow out the liner with compressed air regularly and keep your spool protected from dirt and dust. This also helps keep friction down. Adjust roller tension to minimum required to keep a steady feed. You don't want loose rollers that result in stabbing feed nor do you want to crush the wire.

Your 125 machine hasn't much grunt for aluminium, but for thin sheet metal it should be ok.

We all like to show off our aluminium skills with tig diming etc, but mig is a serious alternative for volume welding and should be considered for fabrication work because it can do a great job when set up right. It will result in a black sooty finish but this will clean up nice.
Flat out like a lizard drinkin'
    Fri Apr 01, 2011 10:59 pm

One slight 2 cents worth, I thought it should be smooth U shape drive rollers as I was told that knurled will chew the wire and cause the bits to be drawn it to the liner. Normal mild steel mig rollers are V shaped.

Regards, Mick
Coldman

Dam now you made me go back to my books!

OK, my memory fails me (probably too much pickling fluid).

Knurled roller is for steel fluxcore wire.

U-groove roller is for aluminium wire. Shows you how much I mig aluminium!

Sorry for the snafu.
Coldman

Thanks for lookin over my shoulder Mick.
It's gettin close to beeroclock and my mind is on that and the mega seafood buffet up the RSL tonite and life members get a discount!

Sent using Tapatalk
    Fri Apr 01, 2011 10:59 pm

Not a problem mate.
Josh MacD

Thanks for all of the input. I'm new enough that some of that went over my head. Here is my take away.
1. I probably need a second bottle for just argon.
2. I need to buy a spool of aluminum filler wire
3. I might need new rollers for feeding the wire (I don't know if my machine has knurled or 'V')
4. I need a teflon liner for my __?___. I don't know where the liner goes.

I can see myself liking to play with aluminum welding so I'll look into these things. But, for this one project, it is probably easier to just use light sheet metal instead.
Hobbyist MIG welder with 75/25 gas on a Lincoln SP-140 in my garage/workshop/gym/storage space. Very new and still learning.

dgapilot
    Wed Jul 26, 2017 7:00 pm

The liner goes in the cable from the welder to the gun. Even with the proper rollers and new liner, you still may not be successful. That's why they make spool guns, so the wire only goes from the little spool in the gun to the tip rather than from the machine all the way out the cable to the gun. As someone else stated, your 125 amp machine may not have enough power to do aluminum very well.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
David

Everlast 210 EXT
Lincoln AC225
Lotos LTP5000D
Oxy-Acetylene
cj737

It's pretty hard to get aluminum wire to run through a standard MIG gun. The length of the cable and liner against the very soft and thin aluminum wire tends to bind up. Spool guns are a solution for that. Some quality MIG machines do run aluminum, but I don't believe (as has been said) that your Hobart will.
Bill Beauregard
    Thu Jan 24, 2013 9:32 pm

I feel the posters have done you a disservice. My 252 is capable of 300 amps. I feel it is under powered for most aluminum. Aluminum is an amazing metal able to share heat. A big mass of aluminum will tend to heat the whole mass before localized welding can begin. Most aluminum MIG set ups try to beat the time cycle of conduction by welding so fast, it can't spread the heat away. Your welder hasn't a lot of heat in its bag of tricks. I believe 10,000 watts is about the low end of functional aluminum welders.

Willie
cj737

Bill Beauregard wrote:I feel the posters have done you a disservice. My 252 is capable of 300 amps. I feel it is under powered for most aluminum. ...Your welder hasn't a lot of heat in its bag of tricks. I believe 10,000 watts is about the low end of functional aluminum welders.
Willie
Sorry to disagree, but 300 amps is NOT required to weld aluminum unless its over 1" thick. I weld aluminum ALL THE TIME with far less than 200 amps with a TIG torch, and plenty of thinner aluminum with a Spool Gun. But you're right about his welder, not enough tricks in it's bag.
Josh MacD

Thanks for all of the input. I think I will stay away from aluminum. I'm a hobbyist at best and don't need to put out the expense of a new machine or the accessories needed for the specialty metals right now.

I do enjoy welding and am always looking for a reason to get out there and play around and learn new things. This forum, and Jody's site, are an amazing resource for newbies.

Bill Beauregard
    Thu Jan 24, 2013 9:32 pm

cj737 wrote:
Bill Beauregard wrote:I feel the posters have done you a disservice. My 252 is capable of 300 amps. I feel it is under powered for most aluminum. ...Your welder hasn't a lot of heat in its bag of tricks. I believe 10,000 watts is about the low end of functional aluminum welders.
Willie
Sorry to disagree, but 300 amps is NOT required to weld aluminum unless its over 1" thick. I weld aluminum ALL THE TIME with far less than 200 amps with a TIG torch, and plenty of thinner aluminum with a Spool Gun. But you're right about his welder, not enough tricks in it's bag.
200 is enough for most TIG applications. Duty cycle is very important at 200 amps The Diversion 180 was frustrating even on 16 gauge. It doesn't shut off, it tapers back.
MIG work is traditionally done on heavier section aluminum. I wouldn't want a mini welder for that.

Miller now offers a 350P MIG with pulse for auto body work.

Willie
    Sun Oct 27, 2013 10:57 pm

Josh MacD wrote:
I can see myself liking to play with aluminum welding so I'll look into these things. But, for this one project, it is probably easier to just use light sheet metal instead.
Learning thin aluminum spool gun welding can make you very frustrated. It's really nice for heavy stuff but your machine is too small for that.

Thin sheet metal has its own issues, but is much easier than thin aluminum - in my opinion.
Dave J.

Beware of false knowledge; it is more dangerous than ignorance. ~George Bernard Shaw~

Syncro 350
Invertec v250-s
Thermal Arc 161 and 300
MM210
Dialarc
Tried being normal once, didn't take....I think it was a Tuesday.
cj737

Bill Beauregard wrote:
cj737 wrote:
Willie
200 is enough for most TIG applications. Duty cycle is very important at 200 amps The Diversion 180 was frustrating even on 16 gauge. It doesn't shut off, it tapers back.
MIG work is traditionally done on heavier section aluminum. I wouldn't want a mini welder for that.

Miller now offers a 350P MIG with pulse for auto body work.

Willie
Not to hijack this thread completely, but you really need to read some modern research:
http://www.lincolnelectric.com/assets/g ... /c8100.pdf
tracybaker
    Wed Aug 30, 2017 5:17 am

You can MIG weld with aluminum. But there are some limitations.

1) Weld aluminum which is 14 gauge and higher otherwise use TIG welding.
2) A 10-15 degree torch angle is needed.
3) Use spool gun for MIG weld.
4) Use Spray Transfer to MIG Weld Alumina.
5) Use acetone for cleaning.
6) Pick Up A Complete MIG Welding Set Up.

For further assistance, you can go through the following link
https://www.bakersgas.com/weldmyworld/2 ... -aluminum/

And if you are doing some projects for sheet metal fabrication, try to consult some steel fabrication companies. My friend completed a project with the help of some steel fabrication companies in Toronto because he wants to get some custom sheet metals and such stuff, so that the project was worth. Feel free to contact for any doubts. Thank you.