It is currently Fri Nov 17, 2017 10:43 pm Advanced search

new machine

mig and flux core tips and techniques, equipment, filler metal

new machine

Postby wvuarmyeng » Wed Sep 20, 2017 10:46 am

looking at getting a machine that I can call my own. I currently use my buddies Lincoln 210 at his shop when I need to do something but for time sake and ease of access I'm looking at getting myself a unit

I have been lookin into a Hobart 210 Lincoln 210 or a miller comparable to either unit (it doesn't have to be multiprocess unless someone says they are truly worth it)

I just want to for small projects around the farm and to work on some of my smoker builds. If I go with the Hobart 210 I plan on adding the stickmate 235.

Thanks
wvuarmyeng

Re: new machine

Postby Farmwelding » Wed Sep 20, 2017 12:56 pm

Well I've never used the 210mp but if I had to say I would go with multiprocess. It's gonna be lighter to move around on the farm and you only keep track of one machine. With the 210 you are going to have more accuracy in settings as well. No matter what you will want stick and mig on the farm.
A student now but really want to weld everyday. Want to learn everything about everything. Want to become a knower of all and master of none.
Instagram: @farmwelding
Nick
Farmwelding
Weldmonger

Postby Mike » Thu Sep 21, 2017 4:47 am

Welcome to the forum.
M J Mauer Andover, Ohio

Linoln A/C 225
Everlast PA 200
Mike
Weldmonger

Postby cj737 » Thu Sep 21, 2017 7:48 am

I have and love a Miller MultiMatic that is about as nice a box as you can find. It Sticks, MIGs, Flux Core welds, TIGs steel and does aluminum with a Spoolgun. You can buy it as a Stick/MIG and have most of your needs met (for farm welding and smoker builds, Flux Core or Stick would be my recommendation). If you decide later you want TIG, buy an aftermarket torch cable and a pedal and and you’re off to the races.

It will run on 110 or 220 power and weights under 30 pounds. Hard to beat!
cj737
Weldmonger

Postby wvuarmyeng » Thu Sep 21, 2017 3:52 pm

cj737 wrote:I have and love a Miller MultiMatic that is about as nice a box as you can find. It Sticks, MIGs, Flux Core welds, TIGs steel and does aluminum with a Spoolgun. You can buy it as a Stick/MIG and have most of your needs met (for farm welding and smoker builds, Flux Core or Stick would be my recommendation). If you decide later you want TIG, buy an aftermarket torch cable and a pedal and and you’re off to the races.

It will run on 110 or 220 power and weights under 30 pounds. Hard to beat!

You get the 215 I'm guessing?
wvuarmyeng

Postby cj737 » Thu Sep 21, 2017 4:18 pm

actually the 200. I’ve had it a few years. And ran it for 8 hours straight yesterday burning a 10# spool of Flux Core. Never quit on me yet.
cj737
Weldmonger

Postby Louie1961 » Fri Sep 22, 2017 10:24 am

look at the duty cycle and voltage range of the Lincoln vs the Hobart. The Lincoln wins in my mind. Plus the Lincoln has some nice features not found on the Hobart: infinite voltage, inductance, and run-in. Seeing Jody run dual shield through the Lincoln successfully also tips my vote that way. I have never heard of anyone doing that with the Hobart, but I could be wrong. It just seems like on MIG alone the Lincoln is a lot more welder than the Hobart. THEN you throw in the ability to do DC stick and DC TIG and I just can't imagine the Lincoln coming out on top. And as a stick welder, the Lincoln has features that the stickmate won't have: Arc force and hot start. I owned a stickmate, and do own a Handler 190. Nice machines, but at least on paper, the Lincoln seems much stronger.
Hobart Handler 190
Syncrowave 250
Purox Metalmaster
Louie1961
Ace

Postby wvuarmyeng » Fri Sep 22, 2017 10:33 am

Ok so now I'm deff leading towards a Miller 211 or a multimatic 215. If it's the Miller or Lincoln which is the better way to go?

The infinite voltage adjust is a big plus the more I read and watch jodys videos.
wvuarmyeng

Postby cj737 » Fri Sep 22, 2017 11:00 am

The MultiMatic 215 is comparable to the Lincoln 210MP if I am not mistaken. The MillerMatic is primarily a MIG machine.

Between the Lincoln and the Miller, its all about your preference. Both are very good machines, you'll find fans of each, and most welding stores carry both so service should be equally available.

https://www.weldingsuppliesfromioc.com/ ... are/index/
cj737
Weldmonger

Postby wvuarmyeng » Fri Sep 22, 2017 9:07 pm

cj737 wrote:The MultiMatic 215 is comparable to the Lincoln 210MP if I am not mistaken. The MillerMatic is primarily a MIG machine.

Between the Lincoln and the Miller, its all about your preference. Both are very good machines, you'll find fans of each, and most welding stores carry both so service should be equally available.

https://www.weldingsuppliesfromioc.com/ ... are/index/

Yea I know the 211 is straight mig just trying to decide which machine is worth it for me. I want to learn stick and at some point tig... I was always told to get the best machine you can afford
wvuarmyeng

Next

Return to Mig and Flux Core - gas metal arc welding & flux cored arc welding