mig and flux core tips and techniques, equipment, filler metal
Glowzinski
    Thu Dec 31, 2015 9:08 pm

I have a Bobcat 250 and an AHP Alpha Tig. I have been wanting a mig welder. Yes, I could get stuff to do that on my Bobcat. But, I would rather use a different machine. I am teaching myself to weld. I have gotten stick and tig down. I was shocked that I could teach myself to do those types. haha ANYWAY, I got an email from Harbor, showing a new Vulcan welder.

MIGMax™ 215 Welder with 120/240 Volt Input
Vulcan™
120/240
50 to 500 inches per minute
120V: 30-140A; 240V: 30-215A
light fabrication, maintenance and repair, auto body, farm/ranch, home projects

CSA

120V: 115A / 19.75V / 30% 20.7A input; 240V: 200A / 24V / 25% 24.8A input

30A

Yes

50 to 500 inches per minute

Steel, stainless steel, and aluminum (with optional spool gun)

120V: steel, 24 ga. - 1/8 in, aluminum 16 ga. - 1/8 in.; 240V: steel 24 ga. - 3/8 in, aluminum 16 ga. - 3/8 in.

16 in.

21 in.

44 lbs.

11 in.

73.80 lb.

0.025 in. (0.6mm) -0.035 in. (0.9mm) solid / 0.030 in. (0.8mm) - 0.045 in. (1.2mm) cored wire

Vulcan 180A MIG welding gun 10 ft., Gas and gasless nozzle (1 ea.), cable liner, 0.030 in. contact tips (2 ea.), Work cable and clamp 10 ft., Ar & Ar/CO2 flow gauge regulator and hose 6 ft., 2 lb. spool of 0.030 in. Vulcan flux core wire, 2 lb. spool of 0.030 in. Vulcan MIG wire, 0.025 in. - 0.035 in. v-groove drive roll, 0.030 & 0.035 in. knurled drive roll

So, that is $599. Has anyone used one of these? I really have no room for more bottles and another machine. But, when I want something, I find ways to make it work. haha

I bought a 120V MIG machine from Horrible Freight years ago. After a few weeks of frustration and saying bad words, I chunked it in the dumpster (literally) and bought a Lincoln SP-135 Plus. I still have the little Lincoln 20-some-odd years later and it still works fine.

My experience with Harbor Freight is that their QC is spotty, especially in items with electrical components or moving parts. You have to watch what you buy from them. My personal rule of thumb is never buy anything from HF that you're not prepared to throw away after one job. If it lasts longer than that, you've been pleasantly surprised. I've been pleasantly surprised a few times over many years, but not often.

As I tell everyone who asks me for tool or equipment recommendations, "I've never regretted the money I spent on good tools".

I'd suggest saving up a bit more and getting a quality machine that'll still be in your shop years from now. I paid $900 out the door, for my Tweco (which I think is ESAB now) Fabricator 211i at my LGS. It does MIG, stick and scratch TIG, and even holds a 12" wire spool. You might also check Craigslist for a good deal on a quality used machine.

Good luck to you,
Larry
Miller Bobcat 225
Tweco Fabricator 211i
AHP AlphaTIG 200x
Lincoln SP-135+
Hypertherm Powermax 30 Air
ProStar O/A torch
    Wed Jan 22, 2014 12:00 am

Actually go over to welding web and do a search Terry (screen name shovelon) is a long time member there and well respected. He was a beta tester for several of the new vulcan machines. He has lots of nice things to say about them. In his words, the MIGmax 215 is a no brainer. There are a few other reviews over there as well.
Multimatic 255
qwikv6
    Wed Feb 28, 2018 2:38 am

I've had the Vulcan migmax 215 since early November and have zero complaints. I got it for 579+tax, I think it was around 620 out the door. I've put close to 20lbs of solid core .030 thru it using c25 and co2(backup tank for when The c25 runs out). The autoset is great, it will only go up to 1/8" on 110v but it really shines on 220v. Huge step up from my old 110v Hobart 135. I really wanted a big miller but as a hobbyist it's hard to drop $2k on a machine, and I'm glad I didn't cause I'm really impressed with the Vulcan for $600. My brother has the old Chicago electric 220v mig and that thing is total junk, doesn't compare in any way to the vulcan.
    Wed Dec 20, 2017 8:37 pm

Time will tell how long the vulcan will last
For just few I can find Miller or Hobart that I know and trust
Today I use a HF 170 simple to repair and low cost, has been around for years under other names too

Dave

PS I have owned Miller and Hobart in the past
Blain
    Mon Feb 19, 2018 7:31 am

I had a MigMax on order through the local store and after almost three weeks of waiting I went ahead and cancelled. They are backordered online until the end of April. Supposedly the store and online are different warehouses.
Glowzinski

That is my problem with store and their sites. They always tell me that same thing.

Oh well, I will just order a Millermatic 252 in June.
homeboy
    Mon Dec 19, 2016 11:52 pm

When I was looking for a wire welder in Nov. the Vulcan was brand new and hardly stock in the stores yet. I really liked it but shied away because it was so new and very few reviews out. Now there is lots of reviews dominated by 5 stars. I am happy with what I got but if I was looking now it would probably be the Vulcan. :D
Blain

Since I'm just starting out what really drew me to the Vulcan besides the reviews was the 1 year money back guarantee. I could use it for a year and really get the feel for it and see if it's what I wanted or not. But, for the long haul, the available parts and service were a sticking point I was going to revisit before the year was up.

After cancelling I had to pick another machine and decided on the Esab EM 215ic. They are running a $200 cash rebate (gift card) on it and it comes with better accessories (Victor, Tweco) for less than $200 more than the Vulcan. Plus the aftermarket support and service at my LWS. With Esab I might need it but it's there if I do.
Glowzinski

What is the duty cycle on it?
Blain

SteveM
    Wed Feb 10, 2016 11:14 am

I bumped into the local welder repair guy at the local welding shop the other day and we got to talking about welders.
Basically what I was told was that if you own one of the newer machines, when one of the boards needs replcement it's going to be at least $800 plus labor.

His advise was to sell mine while it was still working and get an older transformer machine. Not something I want to do.

Now if the Vulcan welders work halfway descent, it would be cheaper to just buy a new welder than to be fixing one of the major brands.

Just something to think about.
    Sun Nov 19, 2017 10:09 am

SteveM wrote:I bumped into the local welder repair guy at the local welding shop the other day and we got to talking about welders.
Basically what I was told was that if you own one of the newer machines, when one of the boards needs replcement it's going to be at least $800 plus labor.

His advise was to sell mine while it was still working and get an older transformer machine. Not something I want to do.

Now if the Vulcan welders work halfway descent, it would be cheaper to just buy a new welder than to be fixing one of the major brands.

Well if that's true.... another reason to buy a Miller Dynasty. If you can't afford one, the cheaper welders, with all the features of the inverter machines, they are still worth it.
Lincoln MP 210, Lincoln Square Wave 200,
Everlast 210 EXT
Thermal Dynamics 25 Plasma cutter

" Anything that carries your livelihood wants to be welded so that Thor can’t break it."
CJ737
Homeywon
    Thu Feb 07, 2019 10:23 pm

For those that may not know the Vulcan is made by ESAB unlike the other brands that Harbor freight sells this one you can get parts for and my local welding shop told me it is not a commercial welder but for hobbyist this is a great welder. I was asking about the difference in it and the millers and he said the only difference is the millers are more money and they are a miller dealer.
cj737
    Thu Sep 29, 2016 8:59 am

SteveM wrote:I bumped into the local welder repair guy at the local welding shop the other day and we got to talking about welders.

That’s a man stuck in the ‘70s with pure anecdotal horsecrap for an opinion. It’s true, inverter-based welders use PCB boards as major components now, but that makes it rather easy to unplug them, replace them with a new one, and go on. Depending upon what brand, model, and board function it is, they can be cheap or pricey.

If you bought “an old transformer” type machine, you’d spend $700-$1,000 for that used. With NO WARRANTY. It breaks, you either pay the same several hundred dollars to repair it, or throw it in the bin. Great advice...

Meanwhile, the price to run a transformer daily will consume about 3-4x the electricity as a new inverter. The cost difference over 1 year alone, you can buy another $800 Vulcan. I’ve got an inverter TIG box from 2005 that still welds it’s short and curlys off daily. The darn thing won’t die and justify me replacing it with a new one. I won’t sell it because given its age, it should die soon and I don’t want someone to buy it and grave it coincidentally right after I sell it. But it seems determined to outlast me (I think it’s a reincarnated ex-wife if you know what I mean). :twisted:

So, whatever you buy, get a Warranty. Expect some level of failure from any machine and take decent care of yuor gear. It extends their life beyond all expectations.
Poland308
    Thu Sep 10, 2015 8:45 pm

He’s not wrong about the circuit board, or the average cost of replacing a circuit board. But that doesn’t happen that often with a quality machine. If it happens right away when the machine is new then it’s usually under warranty and your just dealing with the hassle of sending it in. If it happens after the warranty is up then it usually becomes a personal calculation about age of the machine, vs needs, or features of a new machine with warranty. As a business he’s figuring in down time of not having a machine while it’s in the shop. Obviously he doesn’t have a second machine/ or doesn’t want to invest in his business, on a just Incase basis. But he’s also not figuring in the benefits of an inverter. More portable / more work? Less power consumption / compared to the same amount of work done, electricity isn’t usually free. Features inverters have as standard aren’t always found on a transformer machine or come with an equally hefty price.
I have more questions than answers

Josh
    Wed Jan 22, 2014 12:00 am

I doubt highly that the Vulcan welders are made by ESAB. But that being said, just go buy one and try it. If you don't like it you have a year to bring it back for a full refund. It is risk free, really. As far as replacing boards, why? Buy the three year extended warranty and if the machine dies they give you a new one. In three years throw the machine away and get a new one. You will have welded for < $200/year.

There are LOTS of good reviews on this machine, and AvE did a tear down video and declared it well built and true deal.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gh51jPKeR9A&t=71s
Multimatic 255