mig and flux core tips and techniques, equipment, filler metal
    Sun Aug 06, 2017 11:07 pm

Hi Guys,

I'm trying to figure a couple of things out. I've been doing MIG with .030 flux core and getting decent welds on 1/8" steel using a 180 amp MIG unit. A friend of mine who is a former industrial arts teacher keeps telling me to add a 25/75 tank of argon/co2 to my kit and that I'll get much better welds. The only thing that really bothers me with my welds is cleaning off the splatter. I'm getting good penetration as I've cut some of my test welds and they're solid.

My question is, if I add the tank, can I still use flux core or should I go to flux-less MIG wire?

Thanks,

Terry
Terry

There's only one way to find out. Might as well get started now...
    Sun Oct 27, 2013 10:57 pm

You have 3 options
-stay with self-shielded fluxcore
-buy dual-shield fluxcore that is designed for the addition of gas shielding
-switch to solid mig wire and use 75/25 or 100% co2

Solid wire is cheaper and much cleaner. Both flux core types will have more cleanup after welding.
I used solid wire most of the time.
Outside I have used self shielded flux core when needed, but if the wind is low, I continue using solid wire.

When you switch to solid wire, remember to change your polarity opposite of self shielded fluxcore.
Dave J.

Beware of false knowledge; it is more dangerous than ignorance. ~George Bernard Shaw~

Syncro 350
Invertec v250-s
Thermal Arc 161 and 300
MM210
Dialarc
Tried being normal once, didn't take....I think it was a Tuesday.
ODIS
  • ODIS
    Mon Dec 12, 2016 9:36 pm

I have found using 100% co2 with my 210 MVP welder to work just fine. I have gotten very little spatter when I get it dialed in and the cost of a 20lb bottle and a 10LB spool of .030 wire to be less than the cost of Lincoln or Hobart flux core. I'm on my next spool and still have plenty of gas left.

Thanks Dave and Odis,

Gas and clean wire it is. I'll get a tank next week with clean wire and give it a whirl. Thanks for the reminder on polarity change Dave. I read that in the manual when I first bought my machine. But it's always good to have a reminder.

Thanks again,

Terry
Terry

OK, several weeks later and I have a 120 cubic foot tank of Stargon and 10 Lbs of .030" MIG wire plus a regulator. I hope to start using it tomorrow. Are there any issues that I should be aware of when dialing in the regulator with my 180 amp MIG unit? I already have the wires swapped for correct polarity with non-flux wire on the welder.

Thanks,
Terry

Sun Oct 27, 2013 10:57 pm

Set the regulator with the trigger pulled so it's flowing gas.
Dave J.

Beware of false knowledge; it is more dangerous than ignorance. ~George Bernard Shaw~

Syncro 350
Invertec v250-s
Thermal Arc 161 and 300
MM210
Dialarc
Tried being normal once, didn't take....I think it was a Tuesday.

Thanks Dave!

That makes a lot of sense.
Terry

Farmwelding
    Thu Mar 10, 2016 11:37 pm

Remember to open up the valve for a quick second before you put the regulator on to get rid of dust or garbage.
A student now but really want to weld everyday. Want to learn everything about everything. Want to become a knower of all and master of none.
Instagram: @farmwelding
Nick