mig and flux core tips and techniques, equipment, filler metal
OldJoe
    Tue Oct 03, 2017 8:53 pm

Hi. I'm new to welding. I have a Hobart 140 and I'm really enjoying it. One nice thing is I can use my 5.5K generator with it. Is there a flux core Stainless Steel wire in .024/.030/.035 that I could use with my Hobart? I wouldn't be doing anything that big, just stuff around the house. I'd rather have flux core than get another tank of gas, or could I just go with my co2/argon and solid wire? What would my limitations be? Thanks for any help.
Farmwelding
    Thu Mar 10, 2016 11:37 pm

https://shopweldingsupplies.com/product ... gLQn_D_BwE

Don't use hard wire and 75/25. That's where you get rust
A student now but really want to weld everyday. Want to learn everything about everything. Want to become a knower of all and master of none.
Instagram: @farmwelding
Nick
Poland308
    Thu Sep 10, 2015 8:45 pm

[quote="Farmwelding

Don't use hard wire and 75/25. That's where you get rust[/quote]

Are you sure? If so expound please.
I have more questions than answers

Josh
Farmwelding
    Thu Mar 10, 2016 11:37 pm

Poland308 wrote:[quote="Farmwelding

Don't use hard wire and 75/25. That's where you get rust

Are you sure? If so expound please.[/quote]
Maybe I am wrong on that. I know it tried it once but I probably also dunked it which may not have helped.
A student now but really want to weld everyday. Want to learn everything about everything. Want to become a knower of all and master of none.
Instagram: @farmwelding
Nick
cj737
    Thu Sep 29, 2016 8:59 am

OldJoe wrote:Is there a flux core Stainless Steel wire in .024/.030/.035 that I could use with my Hobart?
I think you're confused. I have never heard of stainless wire for MIG that does not require some type of shielding gas. Maybe there is, I certainly could easily be wrong. In my experience, SS wire wants C100 usually for a MIG as a shielding gas.

May I ask, why are you seeking SS wire? It really only needs to be used for stainless material, or when mixing two very disparate metals, and 308L isn't the filler I'd choose for that.

Self shielded flux core is a very good product, easily used, runs in any direction, and indoors or out. Readily available in 0.30 and 0.035 at your LWS too probably.

An earlier post mentioned using 75/25, and pointed at flux core wire. I would steer away from using steel filler on stainless material because that will rust. Maybe thats what he meant?
Poland308

Josh
Poland308

http://www.lincolnelectric.com/en-us/co ... fcawg.aspx
I can’t imag it’s cheaper than solid wire and gas.

Josh
cj737
    Thu Sep 29, 2016 8:59 am

Poland - so the SS “flux” is basically a dual shield product? Cool, thanks for the ed-u-macation :)
Poland308

Just make sure to run your safety squints when you do it!

Josh
ODIS
  • ODIS
    Mon Dec 12, 2016 9:36 pm