It is currently Tue Nov 21, 2017 11:54 am Advanced search

cleaning out my Millermatic 211 and drive motor replacement

mig and flux core tips and techniques, equipment, filler metal

cleaning out my Millermatic 211 and drive motor replacement

Postby Oscar » Tue Nov 07, 2017 6:22 pm

So I finally took my Millermatic 211's cover off so I could clean it after two years. Definitely needed a dusting.

I was surprised to see the size of the small fan that is responsible for the cooling of the unit! Maybe if Miller had put in at least a 4" fan it would have a better duty cycle. Oh well, it doesn't bother me as I have never had the need to set it to kill for more than a minute or so.

so this is the sucker that is wobbling on me. Ended up finding a replacement for $60. Gonna swap it out when it gets here.
HTP Invertig 221 DV w/ Arctic Chill cooler DV.
Millermatic 211 Inverter w/ Spoolmate-150
Eastwood Versacut 40A Plasma cutter
Oscar
Weldmonger

Re: cleaning out my Millermatic 211 and drive motor replacem

Postby PeteM » Tue Nov 07, 2017 11:55 pm

No kidding?

How much time do you have on it? I got the impression working in a welder repair shop that Millers were notoriously sturdy and well built.

Would you say that may not be the case with this model?
PeteM
Ace

Postby Oscar » Wed Nov 08, 2017 12:20 am

Hard to say because the one we bought at my work doesn't have "the wobble" and feeds better than mine. The one that ChuckE2009 showcased in one of his videos behaves exactly like mine. You can see the tension knob bob up-and-down just ever so slightly as it feeds the wire. It works just fine if you crank down on the tension, but if it ran 100% true (or very very close to it), it would work even better with less tension, leaving more available for situations like when adding a 15' mig gun.

I have ran maybe 50-60lbs of wire through it, strictly hobbyist here. I'm sure there are different acceptable levels of "sturdiness" that can be defined.
Oscar
Weldmonger

Postby Oscar » Tue Nov 14, 2017 11:32 pm

Brand new drive motor assembly installed. Two different drive wheels. I guess that's just how they are. Oh well, I mean it still works, just have to tighten down to about 3.5ish.

Here is the unit we have at my work. With the naked eye, I think I can see a teensy weensy bit of wobble if I had to guess, maybe 0.010-0.012" of run-out off the surface of the drive roll. Not like mine which has a visible, oh 0.020-0.024". (just guesstimates).

All in all, I'm not too disappointed because the unit does work when the necessary amount of tension is applied to the rollers. I just know in the back of my mind that it could be done with much less tension if everything was true.
Oscar
Weldmonger

Return to Mig and Flux Core - gas metal arc welding & flux cored arc welding