mig and flux core tips and techniques, equipment, filler metal
Joe
  • Joe
    Tue Jul 27, 2010 7:52 pm

I've been welding for several years with a Miller 251 Mig and have stick welded in the past. I'm thinking of buying a 120V welder for portability and where I don't have 220. Looking for suggestions. I'd like wire feed.
thanks,

I have a Lincoln SP 135+ that's not made anymore that has given me great service for about 20 years. You can do a lot of good work with a 120 volt machine as long as you stay within the limits of its capabilities.

Current machines include:
Miller: MillerMatic 125 and MillerMatic 141
Lincoln: PowerMIg 140C
Hobart: HobartHandler 130 and HobartHandler 140

I prefer a unit with a continuous voltage control rather than a tapped control, but either will work well.

Larry
Miller Bobcat 225
Tweco Fabricator 211i
AHP AlphaTIG 200x
Lincoln SP-135+
Hypertherm Powermax 30 Air
ProStar O/A torch

At work I have a Lincoln PM 180 dual voltage, I've only run .035 FCAW-s and it's done well, plus you can also use 220 for better duty cycle and output.
Richard
Website
Joe
  • Joe
    Tue Jul 27, 2010 7:52 pm

thanks for the suggestions. The more I look online at different models and prices and specs the more I'm trying to boil down why I want one of these things. I'd like variable voltage, but I want to keep the cost down. Basically I need the thing for when I need to do something away from my shop and that is likely to be a simple job. So maybe only a couple of voltage taps would be okay. Not sure if I need one that can do both MIG and flux core or if only flux core would be okay.
Trying to fight the urge to get one that will do everything. lol

Joe wrote:thanks for the suggestions. The more I look online at different models and prices and specs the more I'm trying to boil down why I want one of these things. I'd like variable voltage, but I want to keep the cost down. Basically I need the thing for when I need to do something away from my shop and that is likely to be a simple job. So maybe only a couple of voltage taps would be okay. Not sure if I need one that can do both MIG and flux core or if only flux core would be okay.
Trying to fight the urge to get one that will do everything. lol
If you're only going to get the one machine at this time, I'd get one with a gas solenoid so you can do both MIG and flux core. Handy to be able to do both when needed. I keep my little Lincoln loaded with flux core all the time, but it's used just for quick fixes and to loan to friends. But it's nice to have the hard wire capability there if I need it.
Miller Bobcat 225
Tweco Fabricator 211i
AHP AlphaTIG 200x
Lincoln SP-135+
Hypertherm Powermax 30 Air
ProStar O/A torch