mig and flux core tips and techniques, equipment, filler metal
fronius twin head
    Sun Nov 12, 2017 6:53 pm

Hi people.

I have a Fronius TPS 4000 which i just inherited , when turning on for the first time the wire will feed through until it is around 3/4" past the tip then stops automatically as it should.

If i click the torch trigger it will feed for a half inch or so then gives error signal on the screen " No Ign "

what can cause this error ?

My online browsing for the manual for these machines only indicates this , however i dont know how to get into the level 2 menu and pressing the trigger repeatedly does not bypass the issue.

Can someone tell me how to get into the level 2 or back menu or suggest other things to check ?

no | IGn
Cause: “Ignition time-out” function is active: No current started flowing before the
length of wire specified in the set-up menu had been fed. The safety cut-out
of the power source has been triggered.
Remedy: Shorten the wire stickout; press the torch trigger repeatedly; clean the
surface of the workpiece; if necessary, increase the setting in “Set-up
menu: Level 2” for the length of wire that is fed before the safety cut-out is
triggered.
Poland308
    Thu Sep 10, 2015 8:45 pm

Sounds like it’s expecting to se an arc before it continues to feed wire. Likely a safety feature to keep you from bumping the trigger and running extra wire on the floor by accident.
I have more questions than answers

Josh
fronius twin head

Poland308 wrote:Sounds like it’s expecting to se an arc before it continues to feed wire. Likely a safety feature to keep you from bumping the trigger and running extra wire on the floor by accident.
yes i thought so too but if i touch the wire to the job and pull the trigger i still get the same error message.
Poland308

have you done much welding before? If your not comfortable with setting up a weld machine then a few pictures of the front of your machine and the work area may reveal a simple missed step or setting. I personally haven’t used a Fronious welder but several people around here have.

Josh
fronius twin head

Poland308 wrote:have you done much welding before? If your not comfortable with setting up a weld machine then a few pictures of the front of your machine and the work area may reveal a simple missed step or setting. I personally haven’t used a Fronious welder but several people around here have.
I have been welding pipe , petroleum tanks and pressure vessels for 45 years.
Poland308

Well that probably rules out not hooking up the ground clamp then. :D

Josh
fronius twin head

Poland308 wrote:Well that probably rules out not hooking up the ground clamp then. :D
I dont know the history of this machine so i will pull the covers off and check for loose connections inside the machine . maybe its something simple like a dirty lug .

or software setup ...

no fronius experts here ?

:(
Poland308

Do you have a digital copy of the manual in English?

Josh
fronius twin head

Poland308 wrote:Do you have a digital copy of the manual in English?
i do now.

the above problem has also been resolved .

I changed to another MIG torch ( Tweco not Binzel ) and the problem disappeared , yet the first torch worked perfectly on other machines.

mystery ~ ~