mig and flux core tips and techniques, equipment, filler metal
Bmuxxx
    Thu Apr 16, 2015 2:49 pm

Curious to see if anyone has ever Mig/Mag welded Beryllium copper. Cant find much online about. Trying to figure out what kind of gas I need to run, preheat temps, ect.
Im going to be welding a peice of 8 inch round stock of 2-2.5% beryllium copper and I will be cladding the whole peice. Ill be welding it with a wire called Eureka 10 which matches up to AWS CuAI-A2. If anyone has any imformation of knowledge regarding this or can point me in the right direction it would be a huge help.
    Tue Apr 11, 2017 10:31 pm

Recommended reading LLNL’s report on Joining Beryllium. Report cites Ar/He shielding for select fusion processes. EBW is most common fusion process. Also, reach out the Fronius (German). for tech consult. They, IMPO, have the edge on state of the art waveforms and weld pool control for MIG/MAG. And we’re a devout user of Lincoln/Miller machines.
Purpose, then passion. Practitionership. Obsession and hard work. That's the discipline.
Bmuxxx
    Thu Apr 16, 2015 2:49 pm

Ok, thanks. ill check it out! And we are actually using fronius machines. But in the past what Fronius has suggested hasn't worked out the greatest. The previous welder was failing all the parts because of cracking. Im fairly new to this company and want to impress my boss by welding this part without cracking lol! I know the copper will heat up very quickly and i think he was putting way to much heat into it.
ex framie
    Sun Aug 09, 2015 1:09 am

Are you aware of how toxic beryllium copper is?
Have a look at this site, 10 secs on google
http://www.berylliumsafety.com
Download the safety data sheets and have a good read.
Its a known carcinogenic and is not good for the lungs.
Use the recommended PPE.

Soap box session now complete.
Pete

God gave man 2 heads and only enough blood to run 1 at a time. Who said God didn't have a sense of humour.....