It is currently Sat Jan 20, 2018 4:33 pm Advanced search

Welding 1/2 Plate

mig and flux core tips and techniques, equipment, filler metal

Re: Welding 1/2 Plate

Postby taylorhudson166 » Wed Dec 20, 2017 12:58 pm

Wow thanks for all the info dudes. I was planning on an overhang but I hadn’t thought about wheeling it around for bigger projects maybe I’ll do leveling casters as well! I was planning on making the frame first then buying the top bc I hadn’t considered the importance of a level table. Dumb I know. I think I’ll buy the steel and build the frame on the floor of my garage and then flip it. I like the idea of using larger legs mostly for asthetics. I thing I calculated about the same weight.

Any other tips are more than appreciated. I’ll be sure to share pics but won’t be until after the first of the year. Waiting on s few more tools from Santa. Cut off saw, gas cylinder etc ;)
taylorhudson166

Postby cj737 » Wed Dec 20, 2017 2:38 pm

Grab a nice thick piece of stainless rod, about 2-3” long and 1.5” in diameter. Weld it to the base of a leg and use it as a ground clamp for your welding. Doesn’t rust, out of the way, and solid ground every time.
cj737
Weldmonger

Postby homeboy » Wed Dec 20, 2017 5:00 pm

Tell Santa you want a dry cut saw :lol: In my opinion it's more important to have a flat plane than having the table horizontaly level unless you want to set up projects with a level instead of square and angle finder. Leveling casters are good if your floor isn't fairly flat, or for a table that doesn't move around much. In my smaller shop tables are frequently moved around to fit the job, the floors pretty decent and I never notice it if it's not sitting perfect. :D
homeboy
Guide

Previous

Return to Mig and Flux Core - gas metal arc welding & flux cored arc welding