mig and flux core tips and techniques, equipment, filler metal
noddybrian
    Thu Jan 24, 2013 12:13 pm

A good spool gun is pricey on top of a mig - sadly the tig option is the cheapest route now but the steepest learning curve & not best suited outside (though it can be done ) - 180 / 200 amp is a good place to start looking if doing aluminum - maybe look to buy a short whip torch with teflon liner & don't go spool gun at all - keep machine positioned to keep whip as straight as practical - when looking at the machines pay attention to wire feeder quality - size of motor / all metal construction / concentricity of rollers / availability / cost of U groove rollers - if you think spool gun is better suited to getting dragged around the frame ( which it likely is ) there are some cheapish ones on Ebay that work OK but often need a little tinkering to get everything sorted before first use including some that will run off any DC welder ( think cheapo inverter ) that have a stand alone control unit.
mworthan
    Sun Dec 10, 2017 7:39 pm

Thoughts on either Lincoln 210MP w Lincoln spoolgun or ESAB REBEL EM 215IC MIG WELDER (MIG ONLY) WITH SPOOLGUN (0558102436)? spoolgun is a Tweco Fusion 180
mworthan
    Sun Dec 10, 2017 7:39 pm

Just a thank you from those who took the time to contribute their suggestions. I have decided that a non weld solution was in order to solve MY process problem and the feedback steered me in a non-weld direction. This is really based on the majority of work that I do which is wood joinery and the realistic future need of the equipment that I would need to purchase, store and more importantly, become proficient in. So, digging into what the handrail manufacturers offer, and knowing that I wanted a painted frame, I found "Ball Handrail" fittings for standard 1.5" aluminum SCH 40 pipe (not cheap). They use a set screw which I will replace with either LORD structural bonder or structural blind rivets. These ball fittings are period correct. I'll also integrate steambent African Mahogany (finished clear) in the canopy frame as a girt and lathing as I have seen in some of the older steam launches out there. Thanks to all for the realistic advise on what would be required to pursue this as a weld project, in material choice and equipment requirements. I took all of that into account to find a realistic solution that works for me in this particular application ONLY.
Thanks
noddybrian
    Thu Jan 24, 2013 12:13 pm

Hi - I'm glad you have a working solution to your project - I nearly suggested " key clamp " or similar but did'nt as it's not pleasing to the eye - I forgot the ball kind - I've seen it plenty in steel but not in aluminum - I think it will be a good choice for you & look forward to seeing the completed project if possible - despite this being a welding forum it's not always the best solution or the outlay & learning curve are not justified for a singular project so hats off to you for recognizing it & those with experience here will always try to help even if it's not strictly welding ( though some others won't listen ! )- I hope it turns out well for you.