mig and flux core tips and techniques, equipment, filler metal
Josh MacD
    Wed Apr 26, 2017 10:57 am

After trying to salvage my Hobart Handler 120 I decided it wasn't worth the expense to have the rectifier and board replaced.

I started looking at the variety of different Lincoln 140 options based on a connection that had a deal on a PowerMig 140. Maybe my research can save someone else the headache of trying to decipher all of the different Lincoln brands. It was a bit daunting, but after talking to the tech support at Lincoln I figured it out:

PowerMig 140c: this is their newer unit that is sold out of welding supply stores with the beefier drive wheels for wire feed and a continuous knob adjustment for infinite settings available for voltage output.

SP140t: This is a couple years older version of the PowerMig 140c. This older version has the same sturdier drive wheel system but has a 'tapped' voltage output. There are 4 preset settings you have to chose from when setting voltage.

HD and Lowes have their own proprietary versions of the Lincoln welders called the Weld Pak HD (home deopt) and ProMig. These are basically (according to Lincoln) the exact same as the PowerMig in every way except: A: They have indexed Voltage output so you have to pick one of 4 preset settings; B: There is a less 'beefy' wire drive wheel system.

They are all capable of Flux core or MIG welding. My connection had the SP140t for just a little more than the Lowes or HD versions. I went that route as I am just a hobby welder with occasional bigger DIY projects. So far I'm happy with it but I am still learning settings as an attempt at a butt joint with 16ga square tubes at recommended settings on the unit caused constant burn out of the base material.

Now to figure out what to do with the old Hobart. Its a 50lb doorstop that I can't bring myself to just throw away.
Hobbyist MIG welder with 75/25 gas on a Lincoln SP-140 in my garage/workshop/gym/storage space. Very new and still learning.

"Service is the rent you pay for room on this earth" - Shirley Chisholm
PeteM
    Sat Dec 03, 2016 11:28 am

Its also probably a good idea to skip the ABC 123 stuff that they recommend and just use wire feed speed and voltage recommended for the consumable (wire) that you are using.

It takes a little doing, but its well worth it to know the actual operating parameters that your machine is functioning at per setting.
ljdm1956
    Wed Mar 19, 2014 6:29 pm

I don't know how different it is from the weld pak 180, but the tapped voltage settings work pretty good, just fine tune the wire feed speed, assuming yours isnt tapped.
Lincoln Weld-Pak 180
Lincoln spool gun
Everlast PowerUltra 205p
AHP AlphaTig 200X
Assorted stuff