mig and flux core tips and techniques, equipment, filler metal
masawemps
    Wed Mar 02, 2011 10:51 am

I will be graduating from a 1 year welding course and recently got a job welding pipe. My question is at my school we don't have RMD or pulsed mig so i've never used it though I am very proficient at welding pipe with regular short circuit mig . The company where I will be working uses RMD for root pass and pulsed pro for fill and cap. Is this new tech something I will need to retrain with or will I be able to jump right in and do it since I already can do it with regular mig??
rickbreezy
    Sat Oct 03, 2009 10:08 pm

In my experience, short curcuit mig mig runs a little hotter than pulsed mig. To my best knowledge, the "pulse" in pulsed mig, basically pulses the mig gun many times per second, allowin the puddle to cool a bit, yet still providing enough heat for good penetration.

I have run both, and don't think that it will hold you back not having had formal training for it.

But, you may want to brush up on the machine settings, becuase I think they may be a bit different, and with mig, the machine settings are the most important thing.

Good luck,

-Rick